There are a lot of different vegan buffalo “wings” recipes out there. All tout themselves as being just like the real thing. Our vegan buffalo tofu bites will give you all the feels you had when you used to eat the “real” version.
There was a period in my life when I loved boneless buffalo wings, as well as straight up chicken wings, but the boneless version was all me. I loved the tangy buffalo taste and the crunchy fried coating. Then I stopped eating meat and needed a true replacement. Enter my Vegan Buffalo Tofu Bites.
Even though I’ve been eating a vegetarian diet for a long time, it wasn’t until this past fall that I truly gave up chicken wings. Dan (my husband and fellow BuzzChomper) and I decided to go without any sort of animals in our diet, meaning we were desperate for a wings alternative.
MORE BUZZCHOMP: Top Game of Thrones Merch for Obsessed Fans
I’ve made many different versions of vegetarian wings over the years, but only these Vegan Buffalo Tofu Bites are worth sharing. Until now, I hadn’t completely captured the essence of the buffalo wing. I initially made this recipe for the Super Bowl and it was a hit! Secretly, I hoped we’d have leftovers, but nope. They were all gone.
What this recipe does right is the coating. Its almost perfect, especially since we aren’t frying, and the sauce ties it all together at the end. The part that really seals the deal for these vegan buffalo tofu bites is how you do the coating. I used tapioca flour, which I highly recommend, as well as seasoned Panko breads crumbs and almond milk. What a great combo!
Prior to even cutting up your tofu, I highly recommended getting all of the water out of it. I normally skip this step in tofu recipes, but I’m so glad I did it this time. You also need to weigh down your tofu, so use either a cast iron skillet or a large baking sheet and a very heavy book. Let your tofu sit like this for at least 10 minutes and all the water will come out. Then you can cut your tofu into pieces. You can do longer strips or bite sized pieces.
ALSO ON BUZZCHOMP: Vegetarian Chili with Corn Bread
The next step is getting your coating just right. You start by dipping your bites into the tapioca flour, then sealing them with the almond milk, followed by the Panko bread crumbs. Repeat this until your bites are all covered. It’s this step right here that’s going to make your bites into delicious and amazing “wings.”
Once your “wings” are baked to perfection, you top them with the buffalo wing sauce. This part really makes these babies pop, and depending on who’s eating them, you can dictate the spiciness. You can also dip them in a faux blue cheese or non vegan blue cheese dressing if you choose.
Next time I make these Vegan Buffalo Tofu Bites, I’m making sure to have enough for leftovers. I want more! These bites would go great on a salad or as a sandwich, so plan accordingly.
- 1 package extra firm (or super firm) tofu
- 6 tbsp tapioca flour (or cornstarch or arrowroot starch)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any unsweetened non dairy milk)
Bread Crumb Mixture Ingredients:
- 1 cup Panko style bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Fresh black pepper
Buffalo Wing Sauce Ingredients:
- 6 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot sauce (use 4 1/2 for less spice)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- If using extra-firm tofu, press out the extra water. Then slice your tofu into six width-wise slabs and wrap in a lint-free towel or paper towel. Place some weights over the wrapped tofu, like a heavy cast iron skillet or a baking sheet with books on top. Let drain for about 20-30 minutes before continuing.
- Cut your tofu into bites, or keep them as longer strips if you want them larger.
- Put the tapioca flour (or cornstarch/arrowroot) in one bowl, the almond milk in a second bowl, and the bread crumb mixture in a third bowl.
- Dip each tofu ‘wing’ into the starch, followed by the milk, then roll in the breadcrumbs. Place the ‘wing’ onto the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining pieces of tofu. Make sure you use one hand for the starch and bread crumbs, and your other for the milk to keep the breading from clumping on your fingers.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then flip them and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- While baking, make your sauce. Melt the butter in sauce pan, then stir in Frank’s Red Hot, garlic, and salt.
- Put the baked tofu bites into a bowl and mix in the buffalo wing sauce.
Enjoy these ‘wings’ dipped in a vegan ranch or blue cheese sauce. If you’re not vegan, enjoy them with a dairy version of ranch or blue cheese. You can also add these bites to a salad, sandwich, or mac n cheese. ENJOY!
Meet our Writer
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Host at BuzzChomp. She’s an Actress, Writer, Director and Producer. Get lost in her Youtube comedy channel PillowTalk TV. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.