My Italian inspired vegetarian chili comes loaded with beans and added veggie protein, plus a side of homemade corn bread. Both recipes are easy to make and even easier to make spicy. Enjoy!
There are a lot of amazing vegetarian chili recipes out there that make absolutely delicious and healthy chili. My recipe stays true to my Italian roots, with loads of beans and vegetarian crumbles for extra protein.
MORE BUZZCHOMP: Meet the creator of the innovative Sci-fi universe Newdawn
I kept my recipe low in salt and fat, making it extra healthy. When you use flavorful spices, then salt is not needed. Feel free to add extra spice, with a 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. I serve my vegetarian chili topped with shredded cheese and a side of warm corn bread. Both of my delicious recipes are below!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, one red and one green, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 cans (15.5 oz. each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15.5 oz. each) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 box (32 oz.) unsalted vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 package (12 oz.) Lightlife Smart Ground Crumbles
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add bell peppers, onion and garlic. Cook and stir for 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with warm corn bread (recipe below) and top with your favorite ingredients.
- Suggested toppings: yogurt or sour cream, sliced avocado, hot sauce, shredded cheese, chives
- Makes eight servings.
- 1 cup Indian Head Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Mix together oil, eggs, and milk in a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing until batter is uniform.
- Bake in a greased 9″ x 9″ x 2″ pan for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and briefly let cool before serving.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.