Gone are the days of feeling guilty because you’re eating fatty gravy. This amazing and healthy vegan mushroom gravy is perfect for your holiday meals! It’s easy to make and delicious. Pass the gravy!
Growing up I loved hot turkey sandwiches, but the traditional gravy caused some bad experiences. It did not sit well in my stomach. Long before I gave up eating turkey, I gave up eating gravy. Little did I know that I would make a healthy vegan alternative years later. Often I would long for those sandwiches, and this year I made this amazing vegan mushroom gravy. My recipe is perfect for the holidays, whether you’re vegetarian, plant based, or a meat eater who doesn’t dig traditional gravy!
This past Thanksgiving I made a leftover feast for my family to enjoy. I always do this since we go over to a friend’s house and I refuse to miss out on enjoying Thanksgiving leftovers. Our feast included mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and rolls. But it needed something else and I was craving gravy. I consulted my favorite recipe tool, Pinterest, and found this recipe which I adapted into a memorable vegan gravy.
More BuzzChomp: 10 Unbelievable Stocking Stuffers
Making a great plant based gravy has been a goal of mine, but most have some sort of “cream” which does not appeal to me. My recipe uses vegetable broth and still retains the thick goodness of its meat counterparts. I kept my gravy chunky because my husband and I love mushrooms. Next time I make it I might use an immersion blender to see how it changes the gravy, as well as use more than one kind of mushroom. This recipe only uses one kind. I might also try adding onions, but I didn’t miss them.
My delicious vegan mushroom gravy is the perfect compliment to your mashed potatoes! Its also great for those “hot turkey sandwiches” I love. My husband and I received leftover vegetable loaf from our friend’s Thanksgiving and made vegan “hot turkey sandwiches” using this gravy. We wished we made more, because it was oh so tasty!
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yields: 4 cups of delicious gravy
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
Also on BuzzChomp: Vegan Crumb Apple Pie Recipe
- Heat a medium-sized sauce pan on medium heat until warm. Add your olive oil and heat. Once oil is heated, add your mushrooms, garlic, thyme, dill, sage, salt and black pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms are lightly brown, about 15- 20 minutes. Add soy sauce and mix in the pan.
- Add your corn starch and stir with the mushroom mixture. Then add the vegetable broth to the sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens.
- If you want a smoother gravy, then blend the gravy with an immersion blender or in a traditional blender. I chose not to blend mine and enjoyed the chunky mushrooms. Blending is equally as delicious.
Meet Your Chef:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Host at BuzzChomp. She’s an Actress, Writer, Director and Producer. Get lost in her Youtube comedy channel PillowTalk TV. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.