I went apple picking with my cuties recently and promised to make pie. We had a total blast and my vegan crumb apple pie is perfectly sinful and scrumptious!
Apple pie always reminds me of fall and the holidays, so its something I don’t make often. Yet its an incredible dessert! I love crumb apple pie and its easily my favorite treat. Back in college, I went through a phase where I bought those prepackaged hand apple pies for breakfast. I know! My vegan crumb apple pie is just as sinful, but even more scrumptious.
After our apple picking trip to Riley’s Farm, I was psyched to make a special crumb apple pie for my family. The trip was a huge success and it was our first time apple picking with Maddi. She loved every minute of it! The area, about two hours from Los Angeles, has multiple farms chock full of fruits. Once we had our apples, I found this wonderful pie recipe and made some tweaks to make it vegan and extra yummy.
More BuzzChomp: Classic Vegan White Cake
Don’t worry too much about the types of apples in this pie. We picked two full bags and they were a variety of sweet, crisp apples. This was also my first time making a crumb topping, instead of a lattice apple pie. I’m so glad I tried out this crumb topping! By no means is this pie healthy, even though it’s vegan. It’s still made with loads of sugar.
A great tip for making apple pie is to precook your apples. This is a low and slow baked pie, so you want to make sure you don’t have excess water in your apples. You also need to ensure that your pie cooks thoroughly through. Moving forward, I will always precook my apples.
Vegan Crumb Apple Pie
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 10″ pie (serves 10 people)
- 8 small-medium apples – peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 TSP ground cinnamon
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 TBSP butter, softened (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/2 TSP ground cinnamon
Most store bought crusts are vegan. You can also make your own.
I used a store bought crust from my local Ralph’s grocery store.
Also on BuzzChomp: Kale and Farro Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Crumb Topping Preparation:
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, flour and cinnamon until combined.
- Cut in butter with a fork until crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Place your apples in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 5 minutes, until apples are slightly soft to the touch.
- While apples are in the microwave, in a small bowl, mix together sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Once apples are finished cooking, drain any excess water.
- Add the dry mixture to the soft apples and stir to coat the apples.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove crust from refrigerator or package and roll it out, about ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Spray pie plate with cooking spray and gently place crust into your plate.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Use your hands to evenly sprinkle the crumb topping over the filling.
- Place a pie crust shield or aluminum foil over the outer crust of your pie to protect it from burning. Remove shield during the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Bake your pie for 45-60 minutes, until filling begins to bubble and crumb topping browns. I recommend checking your pie after 40 minutes at the latest, to allow removal of shield for the final 10 minutes of baking.
- Let your pie sit for an hour before serving.
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Host at BuzzChomp. She’s an Actress, Writer, Director and Producer. Get lost in her Youtube comedy channel PillowTalk TV. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Crumb Apple Pie Photo Credits to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.