My family craves a little treat after dinner, and luckily they love banana bread. Its a healthier treat that’s fun to make! My beloved recipe is also vegan.
Banana bread is a treat that I frequently make for my family because its healthier and naturally sweet. My husband and little girl love it and frequently request it. This banana bread recipe is their favorite, and its also vegan! My little one loves having something sweet after dinner, so having this beloved bread on hand is a must. This recipe is easy and fun to make, and I love that!
My recipe was adapted from a traditional vegan banana muffin recipe on the It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken blog. Something I’ve found in banana bread and muffin recipes is that their sugar content is unnecessarily high. Bananas are naturally sweet, so you can use a lot less sugar. The original recipe called for 3/4 cup of sugar, which is too much. Therefore I use only 1/2 cup of sugar. I also add some extras like sunflower seeds and cinnamon!
More BuzzChomp: I created a perfect look with Wet N Wild 40 Palette
When making this banana bread recipe, I prefer to use extremely ripe bananas. Normally I let three get over ripe, then throw them in the freezer to store them. I then defrost them a bit prior to using them, which is key! Using over ripe bananas adds another level of deliciousness to this bread. The bananas end up being sticky and make the bread extremely moist.
Personally, I like to bake my banana bread on low heat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes. Many other recipes, such as the one I adapted this from, recommend baking on higher heat for a shorter time. I find that the bread turns out a bit dry with that method. Lower heat keeps the moistness in, while still creating a nice browning effect on top.
Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
- Prep Time: 12 Minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Total Time: 62 minutes
- Yields: 1 Loaf (12 servings) or 1 Brownie Pan (24 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 medium ripe bananas (frozen and thawed), mashed
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I use almond)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sunflower seeds (or any nut you like)
- Extra cinnamon for topping
Also on BuzzChomp: Vegan Crumb Apple Pie Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray your loaf or brownie pan. I prefer to use a brownie pan for more servings.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients together.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together your mashed banana with all of the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together. Be careful not to over mix. If you want to add nuts, you can add them to the batter now or hold off and top it once it’s in the pan.
- Pour your batter into your loaf or brownie pan and shake it to make sure it’s even all around. Top with sunflower seeds and cinnamon.
- Bake for 50 minutes. The top should be a light golden brown.
- Remove from your oven and let it cool. Cut and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week, or freeze.
Meet Your Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Host at BuzzChomp. She’s also an Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.