How do you make your summer salad even better? Add crunchy pumpkin seeds and sweet cranberries, plus a homemade dressing! My farro salad recipe has it all.
You’ve found the perfect summer salad to fill your belly and your soul! My recipe combines a variety of textures and flavors into an amazing farro salad that’s great as a meal or a side dish. Top with my homemade lemon poppy seed dressing, an elegant compliment to the crunch and sweetness of the salad.
More BuzzChomp: Incredible Vegan White Cake is easy for every occasion
Kale and farro go so well together, but great summer salads need a bit more style. Pumpkin seeds and cranberries add a crunchy and sweet combination, while broccoli and cabbage further compliment the farro. You can buy a great lemon poppy seed dressing, but its also very simple to make your own. Both my farro salad and dressing recipes are below. Comment with your best adaptations to my unique salad!
Kale and Farro Salad
Farro Salad Ingredients:
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups of farro, rinsed under cold water**
- 1 cup shredded kale, raw
- 1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts, raw
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shredded broccoli, raw
- 1 cup shredded cabbage, raw
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
**I used Nature’s Earthly Choice farro
- 2 teaspoons Stevia
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Blend Stevia, lemon juice, onion, Dijon mustard, and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Pour canola oil in a thin stream into the mixture while the blender is running.
- Add poppy seeds and pulse blender a few times, just to mix seeds into the dressing.
- Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to boil.
- Add farro, cover with a lid, and let simmer on low-medium heat for 20-25 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, scallions, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. Toss thoroughly.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss again. Serve at room temperature.
Enjoy your Farro Salad!
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.