Pecan pie in a cookie is just as delicious and amazing as one would hope, meaning my vegan Pecan Pie Cookies recipe is the perfect party treat! These cookies are the most delicious treat. Your family will absolutely love them like mine did.
These Vegan pecan pie cookies are everything wonderful about pecan pie, baked into a delicious treat that’s simply perfect. Cookies are my favorite thing to bake and they are surprisingly easy to make vegan. The majority of the time, even the most complex of cookies follow the same basic rules. Pecan pie cookies sound complex, but are not at all complex to make. They are a bit time consuming, yet well worth the wait!
I adapted the recipe for my cookies from this recipe, making a few key changes. One big difference is that I put my dough in the refrigerator overnight. I also made my cookies smaller, meaning a lot more to enjoy. Bite-sized cookies are my favorite, but make these cookies a bit larger than bite-sized to ensure the filling stays inside. They spread out and the pecan pie filling needs a nice hole to sit into.
More BuzzChomp: 5 Amazing Movies Not On Streaming
Next time I will be making these cookies as straight cinnamon cookies, because the dough is so delicious on its own! You can totally add chocolate to these cookies, or more pecans or sprinkles. Put whatever spin you want on them!
Vegan Pecan Pie Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 1 hour minimum; Recommend overnight
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yields: 16-20 servings
Pecan Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 TBSP water
- 1/2 TBSP arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 3 TBSP unsalted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 TBSP agave (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cookie Dough Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup plus 3 TBSP sugar (3 TBSP are for rolling out)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 TBSP ground flax seed plus 3 TBSP water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
Also on BuzzChomp: Perfect 30 Day Flat Belly Fitness Challenge
Preparation of Filling: (Watch Recipe Video Here)
- Mix your arrowroot powder (or corn starch) with water and set aside.
- Add your vegan butter to a sauce pan and melt over low heat. Once bubbling, add in the chopped pecans, brown sugar, agave, and vanilla. Stir together and cook over low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Once the mixture is bubbling, add in the arrowroot powder mixture and stir together. Continue cooking over low heat for about 3 minutes, until it thickens and becomes glossy. Then remove from heat and set aside to cool while you make the cookie dough.
- **If you’re going to refrigerate your dough overnight, which I highly recommend, then you can either wait and make the filling right before you’re ready to assemble the cookies, or store it in the refrigerator with the dough. That’s what I did. Make sure you bring the filling to room temperature the next day, prior to assembling the cookies.
Preparation of Cookie Dough: (Watch Recipe Video Here)
- Add your vegan butter, sugar, and brown sugar to a large bowl and mix with either a stand or hand mixer. Cream it for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the flax egg and vanilla extract and cream for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix together until the dough is soft.
- Refrigerate your dough for at least one hour, but I highly recommend doing so overnight. This is because vegan dough usually gets too soft too quickly during the assembly phase when it’s not cold enough. Refrigerate overnight to keep it just right.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the pecan pie filing from your refrigerator and let it come to room temperature, assuming you made it ahead of time.
- Remove the dough from your refrigerator and roll out the cookie dough into medium-sized balls. Make sure they are a good size, about the size of a chestnut or brussel sprout. Then roll each cookie ball in sugar.
- Place the cookie balls on the cookie sheets, evenly spaced, and push your thumb into each ball in order to make a well for the pecan pie filling.
- Evenly scoop the pecan pie filling into each cookie ball until each cookie if filled up.
- Bake your cookies for 12-14 minutes and let them cool before serving.
Meet Our Chef:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credits to Yours Truly.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.