Baking a delicious cake is extremely satisfying, so when my daughter requested one for Mother’s Day, I jumped at the opportunity. She decorated this surprisingly easy vegan vanilla cake with my equally delicious homemade vegan buttercream frosting. Yum!
Who isn’t making a lot more desserts and at-home meals right now? We all are, so easy recipes like this one with tremendous payoff are the ultimate find. My little girl is loving our abundance of treats and she requested a special cake for Mother’s Day. She proudly proclaimed that her and Daddy would decorate it. The cake I chose was this surpringly easy vegan vanilla cake with a homemade vegan buttercream frosting. Yes, please!
For my recipe below, I adapted a great vegan cake from The Hidden Veggies. To make things easier, I chose a simplistic approach that turns the focus onto the cake and frosting. No jam in my cake. I love making all of these treats, but I’m also health conscious and always minimize the sugar and unnecessary recipe additions.
More BuzzChomp: Simple and Amazing Vegan Peasant Bread Recipe
My vegan buttercream frosting is extremely sweet and I love adding a layer of frosting into the middle of my cakes, so we did. This adds a totally different flare to my vegan vanilla cake, as well as that fancy vibe! Both the cake and frosting are easy to prepare, even though I find vegan frostings to be harder to work with. I highly recommend making it when your cake is baking and then putting it into the refrigerator until you’re ready to decorate. This allows the frosting to harden, which is great because as you work with it, the icing warms up and gets thinner. Having it cold slows this down and makes it much easier to work with.
Even if you don’t think you’re a baker, trust me when I say that this recipe is actually easy. You can make a delicious homemade cake with frosting. No guarantees on how it will look, but my little girl did do a great job all by herself. Remember, the secret to baking is following directions! Everyone can bake and enjoy its rewards. Try this cake and then share with me your pictures in the comments below.
Vegan Vanilla Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yields: 16 servings
- 3 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter ( I use Earth Balance Sticks)
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Non Dairy Milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- Food Coloring and Sprinkles (optional)
- Cadbury Mini Eggs (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray two round cake pans (8″ or 9″ round) and set aside.
- Combine your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine your wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients. Stir until combined, but do not over mix.
- Separate your batter evenly into the two cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the cake is golden on top.
- Take your cakes out of oven and let stand for five minutes. Then remove them from the pans and let them cool for an additional 30 minutes on a wire rack prior to decorating.
- Decorate your cake as you see fit! My daughter and husband spread an icing layer between the two cake layers, then iced the entire cake and added sprinkles and Cadbury mini eggs on top.
- Churn your vegan butter and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use a hand or stand mixer.
- Add in the vanilla extract and churn a bit more.
- Add in your non dairy milk to help thin out the frosting.
- Mix in your desired food coloring. I used purple and mixed it in with a spoon. Start with a few drops and add more for deeper color.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so it hardens and makes decorating your cake easier.
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credits to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.