My amazing vegan Blue Cake is completely blue from its frosting to its delicious cake center. Its a festive delight! My son is blue obsessed, so I made this cake for his birthday! It’s an easy dessert recipe and the blue on blue is adorable.
Who doesn’t love an easy cake recipe that’s super unique? My vegan blue cake is scrumptious and will please everyone! You don’t have to make it blue, but seriously why wouldn’t you? I made this for my son’s third birthday and we absolutely loved it. He’s obsessed with the color blue, so this was a true hit.
This recipe makes A LOT of cake, so if you’re not going to eat it all, then you can definitely freeze it. I adapted this vanilla cake recipe of mine here on BuzzChomp, but next time I’ll probably try using a straight white cake instead of vanilla so the colors don’t confuse me. When this cake first comes out of the oven ,the top thin layer looks green. But don’t worry, its all blue otherwise. Initially I was super defeated, until I realized that the inside of the cake was definitely blue.
More BuzzChomp: Perfect Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies
For the blue frosting I came up with a new recipe, and I absolutely love it. I’ve tried different ways in the past to make vegan frosting and most times the frosting gets melty as I’m working it. This time I used spectrum vegetable shortening and plant based butter. The shortening truly made this frosting so delicious and easy to work with! My problem was solved.
Vegan Blue Cake With Blue Frosting
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yields: 16 servings
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 TBSP white vinegar
- 2 TBSP vanilla extract
- 5-10 drops blue food coloring
- 1/2 cup plant based butter
- 1/2 cup plant based shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP non-dairy milk
- 5 drops blue food coloring
Also on BuzzChomp: Perfect 30 Day Flat Belly Fitness Challenge
Preparation: (Watch Recipe Video Here)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray two round cake pans (8″ or 9″ round) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine your flour, baking soda and salt (dry ingredients) in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine your sugar, water, vegetable oil, white vinegar and vanilla extract (wet ingredients) in a separate bowl.
- Add your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients. Stir until combined, but do not over mix.
- Add in your blue food coloring and blend in completely.
- Separate your blue batter evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the cake is “golden” on top. Mine looked more green because the golden color mixes with blue to make green on top. Its still very blue inside.
- Take your cakes out of the oven and let stand for five minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and let them cool for an additional 30 minutes on a wire rack prior to decorating.
- Churn your plant based butter and plant based shortening in a large mixing bowl using a hand or stand mixer on medium speed.
- Add in your powdered sugar and mix again. Once fully mixed, add in the vanilla extract and churn a bit more.
- Add in your non-dairy milk and mix to combine. This helps thin out the frosting.
- Mix in your blue food coloring. Start with 5 drops, then add more if you want it darker.
- Decorate your blue cake!
Meet Our Blue Cake Creator:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credits to Yours Truly.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.