Warm up your kitchen with a hearty casserole that emanates delicious smells for hours. My Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole is the perfect fall meal for you and your family.
Fall weather means warm meals, as temperatures continue to drop in New England and around the country. Pull out your warm sweaters for a brisk walk in the woods, but make sure to turn on your slow cooker chicken casserole first! Let it simmer as you stretch your legs, then return home for a melts-in-your-mouth meal.
Hearty casseroles scented with fragrantly fresh herbs are what fall meals are made of. I make my slow cooker chicken casserole in the oven on low heat, but it’s no different from using an actual slow cooker. Either method produces tender chicken that just pulls away from the bone, melting in your mouth!
Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole
- 6 pounds mixed chicken pieces, breasts, legs and thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in a pan on high heat. Add chicken pieces, searing to brown on each side.
- Once browned, remove all chicken pieces and place them in your slow cooker/dutch oven. I love Le Creuset from France. Its expensive, yet so worth the price as they cook food beautifully and last forever.
- Cook onion in a pan until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes. Then add mushrooms, stirring until juices evaporate.
- Add rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Let combine for a minute before adding wine. Bring to boil, then simmer, adding flour and mixing to thicken the sauce.
- Poor over chicken in your dutch oven and slow cook for two and a half hours.
You can make this a day ahead of time and warm up to eat. Serve with rice or butter noodles.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.