Cold winter nights require comfort food, like my Baked Penne with Pomodoro sauce recipe. This dish is rich and filling and dripping with cheese, the perfect meal to warm up a winter’s eve.
On days when the wind is cold and biting, with no sun in sight, making a hearty pasta dish is the perfect comfort food for dinner. All of the ingredients for my Baked Penne with Pomodoro Sauce were purchased at Trader Joe’s, except I chose to make my own Pomodoro sauce. Trader Joe’s has a tasty prepared Pomodoro sauce, which will cut down on the time to make this easy, home cooked meal. But my sauce recipe is below as well, because homemade sauce truly makes pasta shine.
I recommend putting the casserole together the night before, so you have a more relaxing meal time the next day. Simply bake it for dinner the next day and snuggle by the fire. Its delicious, easy, and a quick home cooked meal made with fresh ingredients!
Baked Penne with Pomodoro Sauce
- 1 pound Penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 8 ounces part skim Ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces Burrata mozzarella cheese, two balls chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- Pomodoro Sauce (via recipe below or Trader Joe’s Rustico)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine oregano, Ricotta, Parmesan, and 1/2 of your Burrata cheese in a medium size bowl.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Place 1/4 cup of Pomodoro sauce (via recipe below or jar) in bottom of your baking dish (13 inch x 9 inch). Add half of your cooked Penne to the baking dish on top of your sauce layer.
- Top with cheese mixture, then layer with 1/2 of your remaining sauce, followed by the remainder of your Penne. Top with the rest of your sauce.
- Finish by adding the remaining Burrata cheese on top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounce) pureed Pomodoro tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 large fresh basil sprigs
- 8 ounces cooked chicken sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil for two minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes, tomatoes and wine.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, basil and sliced sausage.
- Simmer for ten minutes.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.