Everybody loves strawberry shortcake, and my vegan strawberry shortcake is the perfectly light dessert for spring and summer fun. I love how easy and delicious this dessert recipe is. Just add toppings!
I love strawberry shortcake, but it had been a while since I’d made it last. Can you believe I waited two years? I made this vegan strawberry shortcake recipe for my son’s first birthday and now he is three years old. My whole family loved it and while looking at old photos the other day, he inquisitively asked what that dessert was. Shame on me for letting him forget. I went and prepared this delicious and easy recipe the next weekend!
My vegan recipe is adapted from here, which I found to be a good start. By no means does this recipe make two pans worth of cake, which is the main flaw I found with the original recipe. My recipe makes a lot of cake, perfect for a large family to share. I used one round cake pan, but next time I would try using a loaf pan instead. Also, do not forget to put parchment paper down on the bottom of your pan. This cake gets very sticky.
More BuzzChomp: Perfect Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies
There are no real tricks to preparing this shortcake. It’s one of those recipes where you only use one bowl! I love that and its also very kid friendly. My kids wanted to help mix and this is a great recipe for that too.
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I use Almond)
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon zest (optional)
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Non-dairy whipped cream
- 8 strawberries, cut
Also on BuzzChomp: Perfect 30 Day Flat Belly Fitness Challenge
Preparation: (Watch Recipe Video Here)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray an 8 inch round cake pan (or traditional loaf pan) with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper (Important because the cake is sticky).
- In a large bowl, combine your sugar, plant-based milk, canola oil, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon zest. Whisk well to combine.
- Add in your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to fully combine.
- Pour your batter into your cake pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before serving. Top with whipped cream and cut strawberries. If you won’t be serving this right away, then let it cool and wrap it in cling wrap before putting it in the refrigerator.
Meet Our Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Creator:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credits to Yours Truly.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.