When there’s no such thing as too sweet, you need this vegan Strawberry Cake. It will satisfy every sweet tooth! This cake is super easy to make and so delicious. Plus, it’s the perfect summer cake. The more strawberries the better!
Get ready for a strawberry explosion. This vegan strawberry cake will satisfy every sweet tooth! I’m a pro baker, but this was my first time making a strawberry cake. I’m happy to announce that it was super simple. My daughter requested I make one and I thought, why not! Even though the cake itself is light, it is extremely filling. This vegan strawberry cake is delicious and perfect for summer!
There are really no tricks to making this cake. I adapted my recipe from here and customized to create something incredible. It’s relatively easy. I’d say the only part that’s time consuming is making the strawberry reduction, the preserves. It makes so much, so I chose to add it into the layers and frosting. You need about 30 to 40 minutes to reduce it. Otherwise, it’s simple enough to make. Just make sure you give yourself time. I used a pound of strawberries and it reduced down to much more than a 1/2 cup of preserves. I only added the 1/2 cup to the dry ingredients and used the rest when icing my cake.
More BuzzChomp: Vegan Baking Guide – Every Substitute You’ll Ever Need
By adding my extra reduction to the frosting and the center of the cake, it made this super sweet. Next time around I think I’ll add it all into the frosting, or at least the frosting that goes in the center between layers. Adding the reduction directly in between my cake layers made the cake really hard to stay together. I highly recommend adding all of your extra to the frosting. That way your frosting will look so pretty and the cake will cut better.
My recipe calls for strawberry extract or vanilla extract. Both work great. I thought I knew of a store that carries strawberry extract, but I could not find it. Using the strawberry preserves in the cake batter and in the frosting gives this a very nice strawberry taste. Don’t stress yourself out trying to find the extract, because it’s delicious without it. If you are able to use, then please let me know how it turns out!
Vegan Strawberry Cake
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 85 minutes
- Yields: 16 slices of delicious cake
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or strawberry extract)
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 drops red food coloring
Strawberry Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I always use Earth Balance)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or strawberry extract)
- Leftover preserves (from cake) or fresh strawberries (mashed)
- 2 or 3 fresh strawberries, chopped (for topping)
- Rainbow sprinkles (optional)
Also on BuzzChomp: 5 Best Plant Based Sausage You Must Eat Now!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two 9 inch cake pans and set aside.
- Prepare your strawberry reduction, your preserves, by first washing and cutting your strawberries.
- Put the chopped strawberries in a food processor and pulse it a few times. You want it to be thick and a bit chunky. Pour this into a sauce pan and cook over medium heat until it simmers.
- Turn the heat down to low and let it reduce for 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate.
- Now for the cake itself. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix together the water, oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, cooled strawberry preserves, and food coloring.
- Add your strawberry mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined with no lumps.
- Split the batter evenly between your two 9 inch cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove your cakes from the oven and let them cool on a rack.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream your vegan butter.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until it’s fully mixed in. Then add in the rest of the strawberry preserves and the vanilla extract. Mix it together. If you’re not going to prepare your cake right away, then put your frosting into the fridge.
- Place one of your cakes on a plate or serving platter. Cut it so that the top is flat, if necessary.
- Generously cover the top with frosting and then gently place the other cake on top.
- Spread the rest of the frosting over the two cakes, covering the top and sides completely. Add sprinkles any way you like and top with strawberries. Then enjoy!
- If you are not going to eat this whole cake within a few days, then freeze it. The cake freezes nicely!
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.
Pingback: Great Tasting CBD Oil | COEUR Organics review | BuzzChomp