This amazingly delicious vegan Grape Cake recipe is the perfect classic Italian dessert! It is very easy to prepare and a refreshingly tasty and authentic recipe. This was my first time making this cake, and it proved to be exceptional.
Before my most recent vacation, I found myself with an extra container of red grapes in my refrigerator. What kind of dessert could I make with such a sweet fruit? My hubby found a wonderful recipe for Italian grape cake, which neither of us were familiar with. It looked and sounded delicious, so I decided to adapt the original recipe and make my own vegan grape cake. It turned out to be the perfect classic Italian dessert and one I’ll be making over and over again!
The first thing I do when converting a recipe into a vegan recipe is choosing my egg replacement. This grape cake recipe calls for eggs, or in my case, vegan flax eggs. I always make sure I have flax seeds in the house so I can make my flax eggs on demand. Also, I keep my freezer stocked with plant-based butter, great for vegan baking. I previously used Earth Balance, but recently switched to using Country Crock which is excellent.
More BuzzChomp: Absolute Best Plant-based BBQ Ribs Recipe
Because this is a classic Italian dessert, the grapes you choose are important. I used a sweet red grape which I already had in the house and it turned out perfect, but let us know which types of grapes you go with. Each one will add something special and unique to this dessert.
Vegan Italian Grape Cake
Recipe Details for Italian Grape Cake:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Yields: 10-12 servings
- 1 lb grapes (red grapes work best)
- 1 stick plant-based butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 flax eggs (1 TBS ground flax seed & 2.5 TBS Water for one egg)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
Also on BuzzChomp: Perfect 30 Day Flat Belly Fitness Challenge
- Grease your 9 inch spring-form cake pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make your flax eggs in a small bowl and set them aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine your flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, add in 3/4 of your grapes and coat them evenly with 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture.
- Using a stand mixer, combine your plant-based butter and sugar. Once creamed, add in the flax eggs, followed by the vanilla.
- Add the remainder of your flour mixture to the wet mixture. Then add your plant-based milk and mix on medium speed until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold your coated grapes into the batter with a spatula!
- Transfer the batter to your cake pan and smooth out. Then add the remaining grapes on top of your cake as garnish.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes. Test the center with a toothpick, ensuring it comes out clean.
- Let cool for ten minutes and serve warm with ice cream, or chilled on its own. Enjoy!
Meet Our Cook:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credits to Yours Truly.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.