Strawberry Pie is the perfect summer treat! This was my first time making this easy and delicious vegan recipe. It does not disappoint. The only thing hard about this recipe is waiting for it to solidify in the fridge!
Strawberries are my favorite fruit and this strawberry pie is the perfect summer treat! The recipe is so easy that you can just watch my short video to make your own delicious vegan pie. I was surprised when I started searching about how to make a strawberry pie that so many recipes had gelatin in them. Gelatin is not something I want in my recipe or in my life! It’s not vegan, plus you absolutely don’t need it for your pie to solidify like gelatin would.
There is nothing difficult about this pie, except waiting for it to solidify. My recipe really has only two steps. You need to give yourself time to bake your pie crust prior to doing the filling. I always use a pre-made pie crust that you can buy at the grocery story. They are vegan and really tasty. Make sure you roll it out with a rolling pin before putting the crust into the pie pan. They are a lot thicker than they need to be.
More BuzzChomp: Vegan Baking Guide – Every Substitute You’ll Ever Need
Did I mention how truly surprised I am about recipes using gelatin? As you’ll see below, it’s easy to make your own strawberry gelatin mixture for this pie filling. All you need are strawberries, water, and sugar. That’s why using gelatin is so silly. You don’t need it when you can make your own delicious goo mixture. Also, gelatin is gross and made of animal bones so there is no reason to ever use it!
Enough of my rant against gelatin. This pie is amazing. I highly suggest you let it congeal in your refrigerator overnight, but as long as it’s in there for at least 4 hours you can go ahead and eat it. Top your pie with some whipped cream, nondairy to keep it vegan, and your family will have a new favorite dessert. Share photos with us after you make this pie!
Vegan Strawberry Pie
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yields: 8-12 slices
- 1 pie crust (9 inch)
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp arrowroot flour (or cornstarch)
- 1 cup water
Also on BuzzChomp: 5 Best Plant Based Sausages You Must Try!
Strawberry Filling Preparation:
- In a small bowl, mix your arrowroot flour and sugar. Set aside.
- Slice all of your strawberries.
- Take one cup of your sliced strawberries, mash them, and put them into a sauce pan. Add the water to the sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar mixture to the boiling strawberries and cook over medium heat until the mixture is thickened. It basically becomes like gelatin.
- Remove from heat once thickened and let it cool.
- Roll out your pie crust. Don’t make it too thin, but pre-made pie crusts are always too thick! Lay your pie crust into the pan.
- Place the remaining sliced strawberries into the pie, spreading them evenly around. Then pour the strawberry filling on top.
- Put the pie in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours, or up to overnight. I kept mine in overnight.
- Once the filling has set, top it with your favorite whipped cream and enjoy!
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.