One of my favorite summer recipes is full of amazing color. Roasted beets with oranges are sweet and tangy, with just a hint of flavored salt on top. An amazing addition to your summer meal.
Beets taste so delicious that I sometimes forget they have so many health and nutrition benefits. They are low in calories, yet high in fiber and antioxidants, with an array of important micro-nutrients. Fresh beets are so easy to cook and readily available year round, so don’t use canned. Combining roasted beets with the citric juices of oranges enhances the root flavor, creating a nice glaze that’s both sweet and tangy.
MORE BUZZCHOMP: Best Athleisure Deals For Summer
To finish the dish, I add a fine salt like Pink Himalayan, adding a burst of flavor once the cooking is complete. Gourmet salts from around the world are all the rage, so you have an abundance of different choices. On a recent trip to Amelia Island in Florida, I had the pleasure of staying at the Ritz Carlton where the famous Salt restaurant and boutique is located. The boutique had salts from around the world and with the help of a knowledgeable salesperson I returned home with an array of amazing salts. I used my favorite in this dish.
If you’re in need of baking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Roasted Beets with Oranges
- 12 beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 oranges, 2 juiced and 1 cut into half slices one-inch thick
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons Pink Himalayan fine salt
BuzzChomp Twitter: Follow for New Recipes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the tops and the roots of your beets. Then peel each one with a vegetable peeler. Cut the beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks. (Small beets can be halved, medium ones cut in quarters, and large beets cut in eighths.)
- Place the cut beets in an oven-proof baking dish.
- Combine olive oil, thyme, lemon and orange juice in a bowl. Pour over your beets.
- Roast for 50-60 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula, until the beets are tender. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with salt and serve warm.
More from the Chef:
GoodDinnerMrsMellen.com and GoodDinnerMrsMellen.blogspot.com
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.