The ideal Christmas breakfast is something sweet and memorable, that the whole family will enjoy. My Monte Cristo casserole blends salty and sweet with the yummy goodness of melted cheese.
Sometimes a recipe and a holiday are a perfect match. I started making my Monte Cristo Casserole for the annual breakfast with Santa Claus organized by my women’s club, then kept on making it year after year. It was a hit! The blend of sweet raspberry jam and powdered sugar with salty Swiss cheese and ham make for a delicious and filling Christmas breakfast. It’s perfect for the whole family!
This is a heavier recipe, because of all the eggs. But sometimes its nice to indulge, especially at Christmas! Let me know what you and your family thinks of this delicious Monte Cristo Casserole in the comments below, and don’t be afraid to experiment. A traditional Monte Cristo has ham and cheese, but you can mix and match with the jam and toppings.
Monte Cristo Casserole
- 2 1/2 cups non-fat milk (or your preferred substitute)
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pound round loaf country Italian bread, cut into ten 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 8 ounces thinly sliced, cooked ham
- 8 ounces thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Powdered sugar (for topping)
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and mustard.
- To dry bread, preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Arrange slices on baking sheet, overlapping as necessary. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until dry. Let cool.
- Spread half of the bread slices with jam, then top with ham and cheese. Spread remaining bread slices with butter, then place buttered sides down on cheese of other slices.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally into four triangles. Arrange points up in prepared baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over sandwiches. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Uncover dish. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden and egg mixture is set.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.