These Mediterranean stuffed peppers are unique and amazing, packed with delicious turkey and orzo. Mozzarella and feta cheeses make them even better, but the homemade sauce is the best part!
A new twist on a classic recipe. My Mediterranean stuffed peppers combine all of your favorite ingredients from the region, with homemade sauce that’s easy and spectacular. So many amazing spices mix with ground turkey and orzo, but don’t forget the olives and cheeses!
You’ll need about 90 minutes for this meal, but it’s so worth it. The sauce takes 30 minutes to simmer and the peppers need close to an hour in the oven to bake. Most of that is just wait time, so crack open a bottle of red wine and enjoy the aromas emanating from your kitchen. This recipe makes six peppers, perfect for a large family or family dinner!
If you’re looking for cooking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients for Peppers:
- 1 cup orzo, cooked according to package instructions, then cooled
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 6 peppers (2 red, 2 yellow, and 2 orange)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mint
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon zest of lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite chopped tomatoes (I use Hunt’s no salt added)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut off the top of each bell pepper and reserve the tops for later. Discard the seeds and white membranes.
2. Put your turkey meat in a large bowl. Add mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, cooked orzo, oregano, mint, dill, allspice, cinnamon, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Gently mix together with your hands.
3. Stuff each bell pepper evenly with the turkey-orzo mixture. Cover with the pepper tops and place in a baking dish. Set aside.
4. Now we make our sauce. Heat oil in a deep and wide sauce pan. Add garlic, cooking until translucent, but don’t brown. Add oregano, red pepper, and salt. Cook until combined. Slowly pour in tomatoes, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Top stuffed peppers with your sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
6. Cover baking dish with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.