Tangy lemon meets sweet white chocolate in this delicious dessert. Our Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with white chocolate Ganache has the yin and yang of baked cakes.
Baking has been a passion of mine since I was little. I made my first cake as a young child, learning from my mother who was an exceptional baker. With her by my side, I made my first cake, a moist white cake with chocolate frosting. Today its better known as a classic birthday cake. From that day forward my love of baking has grown and matured, but sometimes I still bake the classics.
I created my Lemon Poppy Seed Cake as a combination of my favorite classic flavors. This dessert combines lemons, poppy seeds, white chocolate and almonds into the perfect cake. It has a hint of tang to balance the topping of sweet white chocolate Ganache, like yin and yang.
If you’re in need of baking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can Solo Poppy Seed Cake and Pastry Filling
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup white chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan or 10 cup Tube pan and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking power and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add poppy seed filling and beat until blended. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with buttermilk. Start and end with dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold beaten egg whites into batter. Add vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Drizzle white chocolate Ganache (preparation below) over cake. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top.
- Place finely chopped white chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Set over warm water on low heat (water should not touch bottom of bowl). Stir very frequently, until almost melted.
- Remove from heat and hot water. Stir until smooth, pressing out any lumps with back of spoon or a rubber spatula.
- In small saucepan over low heat, heat cream just until its simmering, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add about two-thirds of hot cream into melted white chocolate. Stir gently to incorporate, then beat or whisk until smooth.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.