It’s pumpkin season and for me that means baking goodies with a holiday twist. My pumpkin muffins are healthy, so I added a chocolate surprise to turn them into a holiday dessert. This recipe is also vegan and truly easy to make.
Raise your hand if you love pumpkin season! I love pumpkin spiced everything and pumpkin desserts are my jam, meaning new pumpkin recipes every year. My mom would make an amazing pumpkin chocolate bread when I was a kid. This recipe is my homage and gives me those nostalgic vibes!
My pumpkin muffins are both vegan and healthy, with a chocolate twist. I chose mini muffins because I like individual servings to keep myself healthier. Portion control is easier with smaller sizes, but you can totally make this recipe as a loaf or in a brownie pan instead. I prefer small tastes of desserts and adapted the recipe from here into my own creation below.
To add chocolate, or not to add chocolate? Do it. I melted chocolate and dolloped it right on top, but you can also swirl the chocolate into the batter or leave it out entirely. Dan loved the chocolate, but felt it made it less of a healthier treat and more of a dessert. If you want these to be healthier, then skip the chocolate and add some nuts instead.
More BuzzChomp: Spooky Spiderweb Halloween Sugar Cookies (Vegan Recipe)
My favorite part about this recipe is how adaptable it is. I used saffron oil because I love how its a mild vegetable oil, but you can use avocado oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, or even olive oil. You can also use whole wheat flour or gluten free flour instead of white flour. If you want to get even more festive, then add cranberries into the batter for a nice surprise!
Pumpkin Muffins With Chocolate
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yields: 24 mini muffins or 12 large muffins
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup nondairy unsweetened milk (I use almond milk)
- 3 tablespoons saffron oil (or vegetable oil alternative)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray your mini muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together all of your dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together your pumpkin puree, sugar, oil, nondairy milk, vinegar, and vanilla extract with a hand mixer.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients into your wet and mix thoroughly.
- Pour your batter into the muffin pan.
- Melt your chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. It’ll take about 30 seconds to one minute to melt.
- Top your uncooked muffins with your melted chocolate.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Host at BuzzChomp. She’s an Actress, Writer, Director and Producer. Get lost in her YouTube comedy channel PillowTalk TV. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.