Portobello mushrooms are so versatile and delicious and a wonderful alternative to meat. My vegetarian Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Sandwich is quick and easy, but incredibly tasty.
Grilling Portobello mushrooms that have been marinated truly enhances their rich flavor. They are such a versatile vegetable, easily replacing meat on your sandwich. Grilling the mushrooms on a barbecue adds even more wonderful flavor to this dish. Its quick, easy, delicious, and simple to prepare. Perfection!
I’ve included links to my favorite ingredients when possible, but feel free to use any brand you love. I also recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience.
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- 3 Portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces of brie, sliced thick
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced in half
1. Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
2. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, onion, garlic, and vinegar. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for one hour.
3. Brush bread with olive oil. Grill mushrooms over hot grill for 10 minutes. Grill bread for the final two minutes, then remove mushrooms and bread.
4. Place mushrooms on bottom slice of bread. Layer on top your tomato, basil, and brie. Place sandwich back on grill for 2-3 minutes, grilling until brie starts to melt. Slice into four sandwiches and serve immediately.
Enjoy your Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Sandwich!
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.