Some of us don’t want to admit it, but Fall is practically here! You could argue that the “heat wave” that hit Boston last week was telling us the opposite…don’t dust off your leggings yet, continue to order your pumpkin spiced latte iced. BUT, if you’re like me you’re already dreaming of Fall clothes. Layers upon layers…leggings and boots…long sweaters…ahhhhh.
CupcakesandNailPolish (CC&NP) has your Fall Fashion covered. Now is the perfect time to share some Fall wardrobe favorites. Also, there are great sales right now so get to shoppin’!
Five Fall Fashion Staples from CC&NP:
- A great pair of black leggings
- A few requirements – Not see-through (which should go without saying but I can’t tell you how many leggings I’ve come across that are sheer when you bend over!). Need to be anti-camel toe. They need to have a good waist band that makes my tummy feel pulled in vs. a thin waist band that can dig in and cause a muffin top look (nah thanks!). The leggings also need to have good stretch, not get baggy if worn a lot, and definitely do not fade with washing.
- CC&NP faves:
- Lululemon Wunder Under pant in Black ($82, Lululemon): To some people these are workout pants and nothing more. But to me, they double as great, flattering leggings. I swear by these as the weather gets colder and I need something thicker to cover my legs. I typically wear taller boots with them to cover the Lulu logo on the calf so no one ever knows they’re “work out pants.” 🙂
- Willow + Clay leggings in Black ($48, Evereve formally Hot Mamma): These are great everyday leggings with a thicker waist band. Super comfortable too.
- A pair of sturdy, yet sleek and comfortable, black boots
- This is one wardrobe staple that is worth investing in. Last year I finally purchased my first pair of Frye’s. I waited until they were on sale at Nordstrom (Hello, 20% friends & family discount!) and I snagged a pair. I wore them throughout the fall and winter – rain, shine, snow etc. They are sturdy boots with a sleek look which makes them good for going out or office-wear. They can be dressed up with a dress and tights, or dressed down with leggings and a long sweater.
- CC&NP fave:
- Frye Melissa Button boot ($347.95, Nordstrom). They’re less “cowboy” looking than some of the other Frye’s because they don’t have straps or a heel or a pointy toe. And most importantly, they are comfortable!
- Fitted yet flattering T’s for layering
- I am all about the layered look. One important ingredient is the right basic t-shirt to wear underneath a chunkier top layer. I’ve searched high and low for the right basic t-shirt. It needs to have a little bit of length, be comfortable, flattering, not too sheer, durable, and most importantly, be able to keep its form (i.e. not get stretched out and baggy).
- CC&NP faves:
- For a tighter fit: Splendid’s Long Sleeve Layers Top ($54, Splendid) This is an extra-long t-shirt that’s super soft. It can almost double as a dress because it’s so long. Great under a vest, leather jacket, or long sweater. Black and/or grey are good versatile colors to have in this T. And the scoop neck is extra flattering!
- For a looser fit: Michael Stars Long Sleeve Hi-Low Top ($68, Michael Stars). Super soft and billowy in the middle, but fitted in the arms for a more flattering look. This is a great T to wear under a long vest, or alone with a pair of fitted leggings or jeans. I’m always a fan of the T’s that are a bit longer in the back to cover my bum!
- A long cardigan sweater or vest to create a longer silhouette
- There are so many nice long sweaters out there – many different cuts, colors, and patterns to choose from. You can go all out and spend top dollars OR you can find some great discounted pieces at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Old Navy.
- CC&NP fave:
- Evereve: This fave is a bit different because it’s not just one particular item. It’s a store that I recently entered for the first time. It’s called Evereve, formally Hot Mamma. Many of the actual stores are still branded Hot Mamma, but they’re all transitioning over to Evereve. I always thought this was a hip maternity store, but it’s not! They sell a lot of great brands. They have an awesome collection of sweaters for the Fall. Check out their entire sweater collection here.
- Below are a few of my faves from their Fall collection:
- A funky scarf to throw on top
- The good thing is you can find this type of thing anywhere. It’s often a fun souvenir to pick up while traveling and the fabric, pattern, or colors will always remind you of your trip! I tend to wear a lot of basic colors in my main wardrobe pieces and leave the brighter colors and patterns for accessories like my scarf.
- CC&NP fave:
- Love this soft patterned scarf by H&M – It has some beautiful colors and patterns, is not super bright, but can add a bit of fancy to any outfit ($12.95, H&M)
CC&NP Fashion Bonus Advice:
A couple of ways to find amazing deals on Fall Fashion staples:
- Always check RetailMeNot.com before buying from any website. I often find great deals through this!
- Most of the time stores offer discounts if you sign up for their email list – Do it!
- ‘Friend’ your favorite stores/brands on Facebook; Follow them on Instagram or Twitter. Companies love to release special deals through their social networks, secret sales for their most devoted fans.