In order to meet your health and fitness goals, you need some hearty recipes that will fill you up without packing on the calories. My easy vegan lentil soup is the perfect addition to your kitchen!
New Year’s resolutions always include losing weight and eating healthy. My vegan lentil soup is both low-calorie and high in fiber, so you get a hearty meal without the guilt. These types of dishes are important for keeping your resolutions. They are also ideal for a cold winter night.
I’ve added garbanzo beans to my vegan lentil soup for extra protein and roughage. If you’d like a more spicy version, then add a tablespoon of hot sauce. You can even mix in some diced jalapeno pepper.
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped (1 1⁄2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped (1⁄2 cup)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (1 1⁄2 Tbsp)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup baby carrots, sliced
- 1 package (15.5 oz) dried brown lentils
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Put olive oil in a large Dutch oven and heat to medium-high.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic to your Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until toasted, about 1 minute.
- Stir in carrots, lentils, garbanzo beans, broth, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.