Cod fish is so versatile that it lends itself to many different toppings and recipes. But my favorite is this Baked Cod with a Panko breadcrumb Parmesan crust.
In New England, where beautiful fresh fish is prevalent, many restaurants still serve the traditional Baked Cod with a Ritz cracker topping. Its certainly delicious, but I prefer a more elegant take on that crunchy recipe.
More BuzzChomp: Baked Rigatoni with White Sauce
I love to create new toppings to enhance the flavor of my cod. Being of Italian heritage, I gravitate toward Mediterranean flavors used by my family when I was growing up. My recipes are strongly influenced by my mother and grandmother, who were both wonderful cooks and shared their passions with me.
I am grateful for and indebted to their high standards, which led me to this Panko Parmesan crust for my Baked Cod. Its one of many wonderfully prepared fresh foods that I flavor with my love of family.
Baked Cod with Parmesan Crust
- 4 cod filets (3 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 teaspoons capers
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place cod in your baking dish and pour lemon juice over top of it. Let it sit while preparing the breadcrumb topping.
- In a small bowl combine breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic, oregano, pepper, salt and oil. Toss to mix.
- Cover fish with breadcrumb mixture. Top with tomatoes, oil and capers.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the topping starts to brown. Do not overcook.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Serves four.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.