I absolutely love this flavorful vegetable soup that is both filling and very healthy. It mixes in Israeli couscous for a wonderful blend of texture and aroma.
I love to make this soup in advance and freeze it in individual serving sizes for a deliciously easy meal any time. I added a Parmesan cheese rind for added flavor, but that is your option. If you want a strictly vegan soup, simply omit the cheese. Serve with freshly baked bread, along with a big salad, for a fabulous easy and quick dinner.
I’ve included links to my favorite ingredients when possible, but feel free to use any brand you love. I also recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience.
Vegetarian Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 chopped shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Penzeys Mural of Flavor
- 64 oz. (8 cups) vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) Hunt’s Petite Diced Tomatoes without salt
- 12 oz French green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 package (16 oz.) baby carrots, sliced
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 piece (4 inches) Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
1. In a large stock pot heat the oil, then add garlic and shallots, cooking just until translucent. Don’t over cook the garlic or it will become bitter. Add red pepper and Mural of Flavor to the just heated garlic/onion mixture.
2. Pour vegetable broth, wine, and tomatoes over your garlic/onion mixture, heating to a boil. Add beans, celery, carrots, and white beans to the pot. Return to a boil.
3. Once the soup begins to boil, add couscous and lower heat, simmering for 60 minutes. Also add Parmesan cheese rind, if desired. After simmering for 60 minutes, if cheese rind isn’t dissolved, then remove it.
4. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy your Vegetarian Vegetable Soup!
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.