Valentine’s Day is a fun time to make delicious treats. My vegan heart Whoopie pie cookies are truly easy to make and decorate. Once you eat them, you’ll be craving more!
Valentine’s Day is a favorite holiday of mine because it’s fun, silly, and the perfect excuse to make cookies! I always make chocolate covered strawberries, and this year I tried my hand at these incredibly easy vegan Whoopie Pie cookies! The Valentine’s Day twist to these cookies is making them heart shaped with red frosting in the middle.
My recipe was adapted from a gluten free recipe which I altered to be vegan and then completely changed all the details to make my own. The best part about my recipe is that you can truly flare it up however you want. Change the hearts into stars for Memorial Day, or the red frosting into green for St. Patrick’s Day. You can even skip making them heart shaped and keep the frosting white, because the chocolatey cookies still have a very Valentine’s Day vibe.
More BuzzChomp: Vegan Baking Guide – Every Substitute You’ll Ever Need
If you don’t like coconut oil, then I recommend substituting with your favorite vegan butter. My preference is Earth Balance butter sticks. You can use them for the cookies and the frosting. Since these are for Valentine’s Day, I highly recommend making the frosting red, or at least doing something to give that holiday flare!
This was my first time making Whoopie Pie and my daughter already requested that I make them again. I highly recommend doubling the recipe because it only makes 8 Whoopie Pies, which will be gone rather quickly. Enjoy this delicious recipe and share with me pictures of your creation!
Vegan Whoopie Pie Cookies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yields: 8 cookies
Ingredients For Whoopie Pie:
- 1/2 cup almond milk (non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax + 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup oat flour (or ground oats)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or sub vegan butter)
Ingredients for Red Filling:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 drops red food coloring (or more to make a deeper red)
Also on BuzzChomp: 5 Best Plant Based Burgers Reviewed
Preparation for Cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine your almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the flax seeds and water. This is your flax egg. Mix and set aside.
- Ground up your oats to make oat flour if you do not have oat flour.
- In a large bowl mix your oat flour, white flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. These are your dry ingredients.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer combine your almond milk mixture, flax egg, apple sauce, vanilla, and sugar. These are your wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients mixture into the wet ingredients mixture and combine thoroughly. Lastly, add in your melted coconut oil or vegan butter.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, scoop in the cookie batter and place on your baking sheet. I re-cut my cookies post baking because they spread out a lot.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from your oven and set aside to cool.
Preparation for Filling:
- Cream your vegan butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla together in a medium bowl.
- Add red food coloring. If you want a deeper color then add more. Mix it all together. Feel free to put your filling in the fridge to firm up while the cookies cool.
- Decorate your cooled cookies and enjoy these delicious treats!
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Host at BuzzChomp. She’s also an Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.