Most of us love meat sauce, but how can you make it healthier? My Turkey Bolognese tomato sauce uses both turkey meat and turkey sausage in an easy recipe full of flavor, that’s low on fat and calories.
I wanted to make a “meat” sauce that tasted wonderful, but didn’t use red meat. This cuts down on both fat and calories, making for a healthier sauce. I chose to use ground turkey and turkey sausage to make this flavorful Turkey Bolognese tomato sauce. Plus, the sauce is EASY to prepare!
You can serve this Turkey Bolognese sauce over so many different things, making for a variety of meals. Pasta is an obvious choice, but chicken parmigiana or eggplant parmigiana are two great options. Pizza would be delicious with this sauce too! Don’t be afraid to get creative when you find a sauce you love.
If you’re in need of baking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Turkey Bolognese Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 lb. Italian chicken sausage, remove casings
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onions (1 large)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (1 small)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook your sausage, ground turkey, carrot, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is good and onion is tender. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks. Then drain off the fat (when using lean turkey, you won’t have much fat).
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, salt and black pepper. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in ricotta, basil and oregano.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, or use this sauce in recipes that call for a “meat” sauce.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.