My sweet potato Vegetarian Lasagna is the perfect make ahead dinner. It’s rich and creamy with an amazing savory, sweet balance. Lasagna is easy to make and what I love best about making this recipe is how easy you can put your own spin on it!
Balancing family, work, and social activities can be hard, but having dinner made in advance sure makes them easier. One of my favorite things is to make yummy food for my family, which involves a little creativity when life gets hectic. My mom made amazing meals and I’m continuing that tradition with my vegetarian lasagna. It’s the perfect recipe to make ahead of time and I’m currently having a make-ahead obsession so I have more time with my family. This sweet potato lasagna is the perfect make ahead dinner!
You can truly add anything you want to this lasagna recipe. The basic principals of lasagna are layering the pasta with other yummy stuff. I had a bunch of sweet potatoes and knew they would make for a great filling to stuff my lasagna with more than just cheeses. Next time I might add butternut squash, since that would be delicious as well. But if you like broccoli, then throw it in! Add in what your family loves.
I did not add any egg to my cheese mixture, because I wanted to see if it was absolutely necessary. It is not. Forget the egg. The only noticeable difference was that my cheese did not ooze out, which is why most recommend adding the egg as a binder. Going forward I will not use egg, because my cheese mixture was plenty oozy and gooey without it.
Would you believe this was actually my first time making any type of lasagna. It’s a very easy dish to both prepare and make truly delicious. My recipe exceeded all expectations! Make sure you choose a good tomato sauce and use the whole jar! If you make your own, then please share your sauce recipe with me. Enjoy this recipe and the leftovers it produces!
Sweet Potato Vegetarian Lasagna
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yields: 12-18 servings
- 40 ounce jar tomato sauce
- 30 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 box “no bake” lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup Feta or Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated or shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 small sweet peppers
- 1 TBS basil
- 1 TBS olive oil
Also on BuzzChomp: 5 Best Plant Based Sausages You Must Try
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Peel and cut your sweet potatoes.
- Lightly saute them with olive oil, basil, garlic powder and black pepper until soft.
- Cut up your sweet peppers and add them to the sweet potatoes halfway through sauteing.
- In a medium bowl mix together your ricotta cheese, Feta or Parmesan cheese, and one cup of your mozzarella cheese. Be sure to blend this well.
- Now assemble your lasagna! In order to properly assemble the lasagna, first add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of tomato sauce to the bottom of your baking pan. Then layer on your noodles, saute vegetables, and ricotta cheese mixture in that order. Add another 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and repeat your layering until you’ve used all of the noodles, veggies, and cheese mixture. Make sure you finish with a final layer of sauce and then sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover your lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Be sure to let the lasagna cool for at least five minutes prior to serving so the flavors all set
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.