Upgrade your Super Bowl party with a killer dish, starting with our Turkey Porcini Lasagna. Homemade sauce and filling make this lasagna the king of party foods.
Nothing says Super Bowl party like a killer meal upgrade. My Turkey Porcini Lasagna recipe is just the dish to complete your spread. I adapted this recipe to use turkey meat and turkey sausage, in order to make it healthier. The homemade Bolognese sauce is very flavorful with turkey, and the vegetables add a wonderful richness to the lasagna.
I love to make a large pan of this lasagna and cut it into serving pieces, freezing some for later. But make sure you serve enough for your entire Super Bowl party! You can make the Bolognese sauce a day ahead of time, or freeze it until you are ready to make the lasagna. It’s also great for soups, chilies, and sauce with meatballs. Make it and freeze it. That way you always have something ready for dinner, even if you don’t have time to make a meal. Upgrade your Super Bowl party with this tasty recipe!
If you’re in need of baking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Turkey Porcini Lasagna
I wanted to make a “meat” sauce that tasted wonderful, but didn’t use red meat. This cuts down on fat and calories. I used ground turkey and turkey sausage for this flavorful sauce, plus its EASY to make!
Bolognese Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb Italian turkey sausage, remove casings
- 1/2 lb ground turkey meat
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (1 small)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook turkey sausage, ground turkey, carrot, green pepper, celery, and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is good and onion is tender. Use a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat (using lean turkey means you don’t have much fat).
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, salt and black pepper. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk, basil, and oregano.
Super Bowl Party Upgrade
- Porcini Filling (see below)
- 15 dried lasagna noodles
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Italian parsley (optional)
- Bolognese sauce (see above)
Porcini Filling Ingredients:
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 15-ounce carton ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup snipped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
- First make your Porcini filling. Place mushrooms in a small bowl, adding enough boiling water to cover. Let stand for 10 minutes, then drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again. Chop mushrooms and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and saute garlic for about 30 seconds. Stir in flour until combined.
- Slowly stir in milk and wine. Cook and stir until thick. Then remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, parsley and basil.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a 14 x 11 inch baking dish and spread 1 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom of your baking dish. Top with three noodles and 2 cups of meat sauce. Top with three more noodles and half of Porcini filling. Repeat layering noodles, meat sauce, noodles and Porcini filling. Top with remaining three noodles and meat sauce.
- Cover lasagna with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 20 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley (optional) to make it own your Super Bowl party.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.