My strawberry jam Thumbprint Christmas cookies are a perfect vegan treat! Combine a delicious cookie with gooey jam for a family favorite that’s both easy and festive.
The more Christmas cookies the better, and these are a festive fan favorite in my house! My strawberry jam-filled Thumbprint Christmas cookies are a perfect vegan treat. They are seriously easy to make and a splendid dessert. My family absolutely loves them and I like these cookies because they are small and really delicious. Jam is good. Jam-filled cookies are great!
I adapted my cookie recipe from this recipe which provided a great start. There are really no tricks to making thumbprint Christmas cookies. The dough can get a bit soft as you work with it, so if for some reason you’re not going to make the cookies right away, then put the dough into the fridge.
If you’re feeling fancy and you like to make your own jam, then a wonderful homemade jam will be very nice with these. I used traditional strawberry jam, but really whatever type of jam you want to use is good. You could even use melted chocolate or another filling if you want to experiment!
More BuzzChomp: Shortbread Christmas Cookies Recipe A Simple Vegan Treat
As I say with all vegan cookies, slightly under cook these cookies a bit. You want them to just start to brown a little bit, but don’t over do them. These are delicious and they will harden up when cooling. If you plan to eat them right away, then put them in a sealed container. If you’re making them ahead of time, then you can freeze them and defrost them later!
Thumbprint Christmas Cookies (Vegan)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Active Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yields: 40 cookies
- 3/4 cup nondairy butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP nondairy milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
Also on BuzzChomp: Cannabis Gift Guide with 5 New Brands
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, or use silicon baking pads on your baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl mix your flour and salt together.
- Using a stand mixer, cream your softened butter on medium speed. It only needs about 30 seconds.
- Add your sugar to the creamed butter and mix until creamy, another 30 seconds. Scrape your sides down, add your vanilla extract and mix once again until blended.
- Turn your mixer to low speed and gradually add in the flour mix. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Scoop out about 1/2 teaspoon of dough and roll the dough into a ball. Place the ball on the baking sheet and repeat until the two trays are full. Once done, use your finger or spoon and push into the cookie about halfway. This is the thumbprint. Don’t push down too hard.
- Put a dollop of strawberry jam into each cookie. Don’t overflow. The 1/3 cup should be enough for all the cookies.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the cookies just start to turn golden. Be careful not to cook them too long and the bottom of these cookies will be just lightly brown. Cool before eating.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze if you’re saving for Christmas.
Meet Our Chef:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Host at BuzzChomp. She’s also an Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credits to Yours Truly.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.