Nothing beats a perfect roast chicken on a lazy Sunday. It’s the ideal family meal! Our recipe has the perfect spice combination without any butter.
Lazy Sundays are perfect for cooking wonderful family meals. Sunday dinner is a tradition in our home, with my roast chicken being a family favorite. We gather to enjoy food and sharing time as a family. My Italian roots spawned this perfect recipe, with the spices and gentle touch of Italian cooking making this memorable meal.
Roast Chicken is easy to prepare using many different seasonings that bring out the flavor of the chicken. I love to experiment, so however you choose to cook your chicken, be creative and have fun!
Links to my favorite ingredients are included below, when possible. I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Perfect Roast Chicken
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- Kosher salt (for rubbing on bird)
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1. Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt the inside and outside of the chicken. Place on a large plate, cover, and refrigerate over night.
2. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Put chicken in roasting pan. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with olive oil. Sprinkle sage, thyme, salt, and pepper over the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
4. Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil, letting stand for about 20 minutes.
Slice the chicken onto a platter and enjoy!
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.