Soup always warms my heart and makes me smile, which is why I particularly love this hearty vegetable soup. Its truly easy to make a delicious soup at home and this one will soothe your soul and give you beautiful leftovers to enjoy again and again.
Hearty vegetable soup is one of my favorite soups because its rich in texture, color, and flavor. It’s so delicious and you can really have fun making it with your own favorite ingredients. My recipe is of course personal and that’s why I say this hearty vegetable soup will soothe your soul. Did I mention all of the great leftovers? My family and I have enjoyed it many times over.
My vegetable soup recipe is a colorful spin on the classic. The original has a variety of vegetables, some beans, and normally canned tomatoes. Mine does not include canned tomatoes, but instead uses tomato sauce. I really like this change because it adds thickness, flavor, and a savory sweetness to the soup. My three year old isn’t a big fan of straight tomatoes yet, but she does like tomato sauce and that made this a win for us!
More BuzzChomp: Simple and Amazing Vegan Peasant Bread Recipe
I also added barley to my soup, which was another fabulous addition. I’d actually forgotten that I had barley, but couldn’t resist its body and texture once I found it. Normally I like to add orzo to my soups, but it didn’t feel right for this recipe. I’m so glad I added barley instead, because it made the soup a bit more dense and perfect for dinner.
My hearty vegetable soup freezes beautifully and you can adjust the recipe however you like. Make it spicier, swap orzo for barley, or even add in some veggie crumbles. Next time I will add celery and onion for some extra crunch! Share with me your photos of this soup after you make it!
Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yields: 6 – 8 servings
- 32 oz container vegetable broth
- 1 can kidney beans, strained and washed
- 1 cup of peas, frozen or canned
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup of corn, frozen or canned
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Trader Joe’s “Everyday Seasoning”
- 2 tablespoons dill
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon basil
- Sprinkle of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (medium spice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- Chop up your mushrooms and carrots.
- In a large stock pot add your mushrooms, carrots, oil, and all of your spices. Saute them until the mushrooms start to soften. You can hold off on adding the carrots and saute your mushrooms and oil first, but I like to add the carrots in with the mushrooms. If you choose to hold off on the carrots, then saute your mushrooms with just the oil and garlic powder. Once they soften, add in the carrots and the rest of the seasoning and saute for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add in your vegetable broth, tomato sauce, beans, peas, corn, lime juice, and hot sauce. Fill the container of vegetable broth halfway with water and add it to your pot. I find vegetable broth to be extremely over powering and this cuts the taste of it. Bring your soup to a boil.
- Once its boiling, add your barley and let it boil for 5 minutes. Then lower the temperature to low and cover. Add a little more salt, a sprinkle of black pepper, and any additional seasoning you’d like.
- Let your soup simmer for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better. Don’t leave it on the heat any longer than 90 minutes.
- Taste your soup, add any extra seasoning and serve with our delicious vegan peasant bread, crackers, or your side of choice.
Meet Our Cook:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.