Red Velvet is all the rage, and nothing says Valentine’s Day like my heart shaped Red Velvet Cookies. Wow your significant other with a treat they’ll never forget, or make them for yourself because you’re worth it!
You can’t go wrong with red velvet cookies. Even Dunkin Donuts had Red Velvet lattes and Drizzle Donuts during the holidays, so you know it’s a popular treat. I personally love this delicious flavor, and what could be more appropriate for Valentine’s Day than heart shaped cookies? These little gems are fun and easy to make, just screaming Be Mine!
Red Velvet Heart Cookies
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon red food coloring
3 ounces white baking chocolate with cocoa butter, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons shortening
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl sift flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Add red food coloring, gently hand mixing until dough is red without any chocolate streaks.
3. Form mixture into a ball and knead until smooth. On a lightly floured surface roll dough until 1/2 inch thick. Using a one inch scalloped heart cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts one inch apart on an un-greased cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
5. In a small, heavy saucepan cook and stir white chocolate and shortening over low heat until melted and smooth. Drizzle cookies with melted white chocolate. Let stand until white chocolate is set. Makes about 24 delicious cookies.
More from the chef: GoodDinnerMrsMellen.com – firstname.lastname@example.org