I love to add fall fruits to my holiday stuffing, capturing the smells and flavors of the season. My savory Fruit and Nut Stuffing does just that, perfect for Thanksgiving dinner.
Your holiday feast deserves a stuffing to match and this savory version combines apples, pears and cranberries with toasty pecans. It’s a wonderful addition to my growing list of stuffing favorites. You can either stuff it in your turkey or bake to serve.
Savory Fruit and Nut Stuffing
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup celery
- 2 apples, chopped
- 2 pears, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 12 cups dried bread cubes
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage or 2 teaspoons fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
1) In a large skillet melt your butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Cook about five minutes, until tender but not browned.
2) Add apples, pears and cranberries. Cook for five minutes more, until apples are tender. Remove from heat.
3) In an extra large bowl toss together onion mixture and bread cubes. Let stand 10 minutes.
4) In a small bowl stir together eggs, broth, salt, thyme, sage and pepper. Drizzle egg mixture over bread, tossing lightly to combine. Fold in pecans.
5) Use to stuff your turkey, or bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
To Make Ahead: Prepare as directed and refrigerate up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature, then bake as directed.