August is peach month in New England, with the freshest local peaches coming to market. That means its perfect for peach pie! What better way to end the summer than with a mouth-watering, farm fresh dessert? Serve it for your Labor Day barbecue, or any night of the week!
Growing up I spent long summer days with my grandparents, harvesting vegetables and fruits from their extensive garden that covered over half an acre of land. My favorite fruit was always the peach, and still is to this day. Hence this amazing summer peach pie in puff pastry!
With my grandparents I would pick a few peaches, then eat a peach, continuing this routine until my stomach was filled with the juicy fruit. I loved peaches so much that my mother planted a peach tree at our home just for me. For years I cared for my tree, harvesting luscious peaches which my mother made into mouth-watering peach pie after pie.
I’ve continued her tradition all these years later, now sharing with you the art of making beautiful pies. My favorite is still the peach pie, in a puff pastry crust sprinkled with just a touch of sugar. Nothing is better than fresh fruit in a freshly baked pie!
Great recipes start with great equipment, and I highly recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer. It comes in so many great colors!
Peach Pie in Puff Pastry
- 1 package Pepperidge Puff Pastry, thawed according to package instructions
- 6 cups fresh peach slices (about 10 peeled peaches)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca (I use Kraft Minute Tapioca
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons fine white sugar
- Peel and pit the peaches. Then cut them into 3/8″ slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and thickener. Add peaches, vanilla extract, almond extract, salt, and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and set your filling aside.
- Remove your thawed puff pastry from its package. Flour a large work surface and roll the dough into a 12″ circle.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fold the rolled-out dough in half, then in half again. This will make it easier to move. Pick up the folded dough and place it into a 9″ x 1 1/2″ pie pan. Unfold the dough, centering it in the pan.
- Spoon the filling into the crust. Then gently drape the second dough circle on the filling. Fold the edges together, pinching to seal.
- Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with granulated white sugar. This will add a touch of sweetness and a delightful crunch.
- Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet, to catch any spills. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove your peach pie from the oven and place it on a rack to cool overnight. If you don’t let it rest long enough, then the filling will be too soft.
- Store your peach pie, well wrapped, in the fridge up to five days, or freeze for up to three months.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.