Pasta is a deliciously quick and easy meal that you can prepare in advance for a wonderful week of meals. This recipe is a personal favorite, combining fettuccine pasta with Italian tuna and the freshest tomatoes available.
Everyone knows that pasta is nothing without a sauce. I like to customize my pasta sauces by adding different ingredients, such as tomatoes straight from Italy. I strongly recommend using San Marzano tomatoes from Italy. They are a plum tomato and the flesh is much thicker with fewer seeds. The taste is also stronger, sweeter and less acidic than Roma tomatoes. If you decide to use San Marzano tomatoes, look for the label to be marked certified.
Another splurge of mine is buying fresh pasta, especially fettuccine. Its well worth the extra cost for a special meal, and perfect for my pasta with Italian tuna recipe. When I am cooking with canned tuna, I always use Italian style tuna packed in olive oil. It adds more flavor than regular can tuna.
If you’re looking for cooking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Pasta with Italian Tuna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes, Cento
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 can yellow fin tuna in olive oil, Genova
- 1 package (8 oz) Buitoni Fresh Fettuccine
- Parmesan Cheese
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add garlic. Continue to cook, making sure not to brown garlic, for two minutes.
- Add olives, capers and crushed red pepper. Cook for another two minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- The tomatoes will now be very soft and tender. With a wooden spoon, break tomatoes apart into smaller pieces. Add tuna and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and place on a large plate.
- Toss with tomato sauce and serve with Parmesan cheese.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.