Valentine’s Day is upon us, so let’s make our loved ones cookies! We’ve got super easy Valentine’s Day vegan sugar cookies that are chewy and festive. A perfect recipe!
Valentine’s Day is coming up, which makes it a perfect time to bake your loved ones cookies! These are super easy Valentine’s Day vegan sugar cookies. If you have a heart-shaped cookie cutter, then turn these into hearts. I didn’t have one, so mine are more traditional. I did, however, add red sprinkles to the dough! The original recipe called for multicolored sprinkles, but its Valentine’s Day. The red sprinkles make these cookies extremely festive.
I didn’t adapt the original recipe otherwise, because it is so easy. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to refrigerate the dough. The original recipe recommends an hour and it definitely made the dough easier to work with. If you want to make these into cut out cookies, I highly recommend it.
I love sugar cookies and if I could only eat one type of cookie ever again, it would be them. I’ve also been on a vegan cookie kick lately, because I find them to be much lighter and still packed with flavor. I’m always on the hunt for great vegan sugar cookie recipes and this one is a gem! First, it’s easy to make. If you frequently bake, then you’ll have all of these ingredients. I found a lot of other recipes that called for banana, which was the one ingredient I didn’t have on hand.
Sometimes I avoid cookie recipes where you need to refrigerate the dough. That is just me being lazy. As long as you factor this into your baking time, it really doesn’t matter at all. Like I said above, I wouldn’t skip this step with this recipe.
The one warning I will give you is that these babies don’t need to go into the fridge. I normally put my cookies in the fridge after I make them, because I don’t eat them right away, but these will not stay chewy if you put them in the fridge. Put them in an airtight container and they’ll stay chewy! I love chewy sugar cookies, so you definitely don’t want to make them hard. They’re still good hard, but it’s not the same.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons red sprinkles
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil (I use sunflower oil)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sprinkles.
- In a separate bowl whisk oil, sugar, water, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Cover and put in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or use a silicon mat. Measure out each cookie into two tablespoons and press down. If you’ve decided to use a heart cut out, then roll your dough out first. You should get about 24 cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. I put both cookie sheets in my oven and they needed 10 minutes. The cookies will puff up a bit and be slightly brown on the bottom. Let them cool for two minutes, then transfer to drying rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
These chewy vegan sugar cookies are delicious. They are also extremely easy to make. Don’t let waiting an hour to refrigerate the dough deter you from trying this recipe. Make the dough, put it in the fridge, have a drink or two, and then bake these bad boys up. They are well worth it and perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Connect with our Writer:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Youtuber at BuzzChomp. She’s also an Actress, Writer, Director and Producer. Get lost in her Youtube comedy channel PillowTalk TV. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or Instagram
Valentine’s Day Vegan Sugar Cookies Photo Credits: Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.