Are you ready for an easy and delicious treat? My vegan funfetti cake is for all occasions. Requested by my daughter after seeing the super market boxed cakes, I created my own amazing homemade recipe that is just as easy as the box mix. A perfect cake that will delight everyone!
As an avid baker and seasoned vegan baker, I do not do box mixes. Making cakes is always fun and usually easy, just like my vegan funfetti cake recipe! Yet its impossible to avoid the allure of those tasty looking box cakes. Without a doubt, if I go down the baking aisle at the super market with my daughter, she wants a funfetti cake mix. Funfetti is just a sprinkled cake and so after our last trip to the story I created my own! That is where this easy and delicious vegan funfetti cake came from.
I began with a simple vegan vanilla cake recipe and then transformed it into funfetti! This is an easy recipe because all I did to make it a funfetti cake was add sprinkles. It’s why buying the box mix is so silly. You can do vanilla like mine, or make a funfetti white cake, funfetti pound cake, or even chocolate. My recipe was adapted from this recipe which was an excellent starting place. There are no tricks except when it comes to the frosting. Making a vegan frosting feels a bit daunting because its tricky to get the proportions just right. For this recipe I use half butter and half coconut oil (in the solid form). This creates a nice balance, texture, and taste for your frosting. If you do not like the coconut taste, then use all butter, but make sure its at room temperature.
More BuzzChomp: Vegan Baking Guide – Every Substitute You’ll Ever Need
I’m proud to say that I mastered the frosting with this recipe. Next time I’ll definitely add a bit more to the middle layer of my cake. A big worry of mine is always to make sure I have enough frosting for the whole cake. This recipe makes plenty of frosting, so you don’t have to worry. Be free when doing the middle of your cake. You can even add jelly or jam to the center of this cake for something truly unique. I might even play with a different color frosting, or make a chocolate peanut butter frosting. Share with me your photos of the cake you make!
Vegan Funfetti Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yields: 16 slices of delicious cake
Ingredients for Funfetti Cake:
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (solid form)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk (non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Also on BuzzChomp: 5 Best Plant Based Burgers Reviewed
Preparation of Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Spray two round cake pans (8″ or 9″) and put parchment paper down.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt) in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix your wet ingredients (sugar, water, oil, white vinegar and vanilla) in a separate bowl. Then combine them with the dry ingredients, stirring until combined. Add your sprinkles and mix fully.
- Pour your batter into the cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove your cakes from the oven promptly and let them cool. Then refrigerate your cakes until you’re ready for icing.
Preparation of Frosting:
- Soften your butter and if coconut oil is not solid, put it in the fridge to solidify.
- Cream your butter and coconut oil with an electric mixer.
- Add powdered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time while mixing.
- Next, add vanilla extract and fully mix.
- Add your non-dairy milk and mix once more. Finally, add sprinkles and mix with a spoon.
- Take your cakes out of the fridge and add the frosting to ice your cake. Enjoy decorating.
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Host at BuzzChomp. She’s also an Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credits to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.