Summer time parties should be just as fun for the hostess as for the guests. That’s why I love this chocolate velvet pound cake.
This cake packs a lot of punch for not much work. Bake the cake, drizzle the ganache, decorate with chocolate dipped strawberries and you have a cake that will dazzle you guest!
Chocolate Ganache Velvet Pound Cake
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels, I use Ghirardelli
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (16 ounce) package light brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour, King Arthur
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 cup hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache (recipe below)
Vanilla ice cream
9 strawberries, washed with stems
1. Melt semisweet chocolate morsels in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH for 30-second intervals until melted (about 1 1/2 minutes total time). Stir until smooth.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer, beating about 5 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended. Add melted chocolate, beating just until blended.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Gradually add 1 cup hot water in a slow, steady stream, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla. Use immediately, following directions for desired cake.
4. Spoon batter evenly into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
5. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake.
6. Dip small spoonfuls of warm ganache over cake.
7. Decorate with chocolate dipped strawberries
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons butter
Microwave chocolate morsels and whipping cream in a 2-quart glass bowl at medium 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until melted. Whisk until smooth then whisk in butter. Let stand 30 minutes. Beat at medium speed with electric mixture for 3 to 4 minutes. Dip strawberries in chocolate Ganache. Place on wax paper and chill.