Are you ready for an irresistible dessert? My chocolate cake with peppermint cream cheese frosting is a beautiful treat that tastes as good as it looks. Enjoy!
Peppermint reminds me of an old-fashioned Christmas, like the ones I had as a child. I would find a big peppermint candy cane in my stocking and I’d savor it for weeks! The combination of chocolate, cream cheese and peppermint in this chocolate cake is a personal favorite of mine. As I take a bite, the cool peppermint cream cheese frosting combines with the chocolate cake for an irresistible dessert that will be the star of any Holiday meal.
My chocolate cake recipe is not just for Christmas, because it’s too tempting not to make this as often as possible. It’s a beautiful dessert with flavors that live up to the presentation. Swap out your garnish for a more seasonal choice if you prefer. It will only add more depth to this already spectacular cake!
If you’re in need of baking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Chocolate Cake with Peppermint Frosting
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup hot water
- Peppermint Frosting (recipe is below)
- Garnish: Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses, sparkling sugar, crushed candy canes, sugared mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Spray three 8-inch round cake pans with baking spray. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper, and spray again.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Form a well in the center of your flour mixture. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Add hot water, whisking to fully combine. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove your cakes from the oven and let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Peppermint Frosting between layers and on top and the sides of your cake. Decorate with kisses and crushed candy cane. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses, sugared mint leaves, sparkling sugar, and crushed candy canes, if desired. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages (16 oz each) powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, peppermint, and salt, beating until smooth.
- Increase speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.