This ultimate French chicken dish is so versatile that you can have it as an everyday meal, or a fancy Sunday dinner. My Chicken Veronique recipe combines a bevy of spices into a wonderful meal.
Chicken Veronique is a wonderful French chicken dish that I have made for years. It can be made earlier in the day and reheated before serving, plus you can dress this dish down or up depending on the occasion. It’s the ultimate dish because of its versatility and delicious blend of flavors.
When I want to make Chicken Veronique for Sunday dinner or for company, I use split chicken breast to fancy it up. As an everyday meal I use an assortment of chicken pieces. Either way, it is an easy and wonderful meal that will be enjoyed by everyone at your table.
If you’re in need of baking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
- 3 lbs assorted chicken pieces (6 split breasts, or thighs and legs)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (use only the white part)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz size) chicken broth (I use low-fat, low salt)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups seedless green grapes
- Small cluster of green grapes for garnish
1. Rinse chicken and wipe with damp paper towel.
2. Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy skillet. Brown chicken in your skillet, a few pieces at a time, turning on all sides. Remove chicken as it browns. When finished browning chicken, remove any excess drippings except 2 tablespoons.
3. Add mushrooms, garlic and leeks to skillet and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until fully cooked.
4. Whisk together flour, wine and chicken broth. Add to your mushroom mixture in the skillet. Then add salt, rosemary, thyme, pepper, bay leaf and grapes to your skillet.
5. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring throughout. Add browned chicken and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Make sure to turn chicken occasionally.
6. Serve over couscous or white rice. Make sure to cook couscous, or rice, according to package instructions. Place cooked couscous, or rice, in a large casserole dish. Then place chicken on top and pour on your sauce. Garnish with a cluster of green grapes.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.