Summer vegetables are so plentiful and beautifully fresh, just right for an amazing vegetable casserole served as a side dish, or a light main meal with salad and fresh bread.
I love going to my town Farmer’s Market and gathering fresh picked veggies to combine into a delicious casserole. My three favorites are eggplant, zucchini and tomato. But you can have fun with it by selecting your three vegetables of choice for this delicious casserole layered with cheese and a fresh herb mixture. You can really keep changing it up by choosing different veggies!
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 eggplant, pealed, thinly sliced
2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
BuzzChomp Twitter: Follow for updates
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a three quart baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, thyme and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
3. Arrange half of the eggplant slices in the baking dish. Then layer half of the zucchini on top, followed by half of the tomatoes. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese and herb mixture over the vegetables. Repeat the vegetable layers and top with another 1/2 of the cheese mixture.
4. Melt your butter in a sauce pan and stir in breadcrumbs until combined. Sprinkle on top of the casserole.
5. Cover casserole loosely with foil and bake in your preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
More from the chef: GoodDinnerMrsMellen.com and GoodDinnerMrsMellen.blogspot.com
Pingback: Grilled Mediterranean Shrimp Dinner Recipe - BuzzChomp
Pingback: Grilled Polenta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes - BuzzChomp
Pingback: Tart Field Greens Salad with Fresh Fruit and Pecans