This Vegan Fried Chicken is delicious, pan fried, and easy to make! I’ve been on a kick of making my own plant based meats and this is one of my favorites. Get ready for a real vegan treat.
I once loved chicken so much, especially fried chicken. It was the hardest thing for me to give up, so I’ve been on the hunt for a delicious plant based alternative ever since! I definitely do not miss the meat, but this vegan fried chicken recipe fills the remaining void. Even before I became 100% vegetarian, I liked plant based meats and enjoyed new vegetarian and vegan dishes. This is one of my absolute favorites!
I adapted my vegan pan fried chicken recipe from this vegan recipe here. It’s a good start, but needed a personal touch. Making this recipe takes time. The vegan chicken takes a while to cook, but thankfully the hands on part is super easy and you only use one bowl. When I make this I always make my own “veggie broth.” I find it tastes better than using vegetable broth. Get yourself some Better Than Bouillon vegetarian or no chicken and mix it with water. I love the flavor it adds to this over using vegetable broth.
The part that makes this veggie chicken so great is the pan frying at the end. Just a little oil goes a long way and you have a delicious vegan fried chicken! The first time I made this I skipped that step and it was still very good, but pan frying steps it up. Definitely plan time to pan fry. My whole family loves this veggie chicken and there are always leftovers, which is great!
More BuzzChomp: Shortbread Christmas Cookies Recipe A Simple Vegan Treat
This is such a great recipe and super delicious! While it may seem time consuming, its actually no longer than roasting real meat in the oven. It’s easy to make and you can turn it into your own style dish! Plus, you can make veggie chicken salad with the leftovers. Make them and share a picture with us!
Vegan Fried Chicken (Pan Fried)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Active Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yields: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water with ‘Better Than Bouillon’ (use 1 teaspoon) or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Additional oil for pan frying
Also on BuzzChomp: Cannabis Gift Guide with 5 New Brands
- In a large bowl combine all of your dry ingredients together.
- If you are not using vegetable broth, then in a liquid measuring cup add in 1 1/2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of the Better Than Bouillon and mix together.
- Add your liquids, olive oil and veggie broth mix, to your dry ingredients and mix it until it forms a dough.
- Sprinkle a spoonful of flour on your work surface and work the dough a bit. Form the dough into 6 pieces and wrap them in tin foil.
- Place all 6 wrapped pieces in a steamer basket within a large pot with water at the bottom of it. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil, steaming your pieces for 30 minutes.
- Once steamed, take them out of the foil. Add a little oil to a large skillet and pan fry them over medium heat on both sides, for a few minutes per side. A little oil goes a long way, so add more as you go.
Meet Our Cook:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Co-Owner of BuzzChomp. She’s an acclaimed Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credits to Yours Truly.
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.