Adding fresh fruit and nuts to your tart field greens salad is bliss. The refreshingly sweet tastes of fruit and tart field greens mix wonderfully in harmony!
I love the combination of spicy greens with melon, blueberries and apricots. You can also customize this salad using any of your favorite fresh fruits. Sometimes I add dates instead of apricots, or pumpkin seeds instead of pecans. Use your imagination to create your own special salad!
Tart Field Greens Salad
4-5 cups bitter or spicy field greens
1/2 honeydew melon, cubed
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup chopped apricots
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons sliced red onion*
Balsamic vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1. Wash and dry your greens.
2. Place on a flat plate, arranging melon, blueberries, apricots and pecans on top.
3. Thinly slice your red onion. Place in a bowl, pouring 2 tablespoons of white vinegar over the onions and soaking for 10 minutes. Rinse onions and pat dry.
4. Place onions on salad. Serve with balsamic vinaigrette (recipe below).
*Soaking the onion mellows the taste
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
1. In a small bowl combine the vinegar, mustard and garlic.
2. Add the oil in a slow and steady stream, whisking constantly.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.