Lasagna is one of those foods I always loved, but rarely ate or made at home. It’s delicious, yet often a very heavy meal. My spaghetti squash lasagna is the opposite, a healthy version that’s all veggies. Feel free to eat two servings!
My spaghetti squash lasagna recipe began as a hunt for healthy lasagna. I wanted to make something that hearkened back to regular pasta and cheese lasagna, but didn’t leave me feeling so full and needing to watch what I ate the next day.
I discovered spaghetti squash lasagna and took a basic recipe and started tweaking! The original recipe used turkey meat, which I replaced with veggie meat to cut down on calories and fat. Be liberal with the cheeses to keep that lasagna feel, or go light for an even healthier version!
ALSO ON BUZZCHOMP: Southern Living Magazine Holiday Shout Out
My recipe is easy to make and is only time-consuming because you need to roast the spaghetti squash in the oven for 45-60 minutes. Remember that in advance, or else you will get very hungry as it cooks!
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 1 package beef-less veggie meat
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2½ cups marinara sauce (I made my own, but use your favorite)
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1½ cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Classic lasagna uses ricotta cheese and while I love ricotta, I wanted this bad boy to be as healthy as possible. I subbed Greek yogurt for the ricotta, which is still delicious. Trust me, you cannot tell the difference when it’s all baked together. It’s actually amazing how this tastes just like good old-fashioned lasagna!
1) Pre-heat oven to 450° F. Place the spaghetti squash face down on a baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on the strength of your oven.
2) In a medium-sized bowl mix two cups of your marinara sauce with your veggie meat and set aside.
3) In a separate bowl mix together one cup of your shredded cheese, Greek yogurt and spices until well combined.
4) Remove cooked squash from oven and let cool, about ten minutes. Scrape out cooled spaghetti squash with a fork and layer into a 9×12 inch greased baking pan.
5) Spoon veggie meat mixture and then cheese mixture over top of the squash. Use the remaining ½ cup of marinara sauce to spread on top of cheese mixture. Then sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese on top.
6) Bake for 30 minutes and then let cool for 10 minutes.
This is one of my favorite recipes, which you can totally morph into your own. Make it spicier, add grilled veggies, or sub in your favorite protein. This easily makes enough for four people, so my husband and I had leftovers. We had two dinners worth of delicious lasagna and still wanted more! I’ll just have to make it again.
Definitely go crazy and customize this spaghetti squash lasagna however you like! It’s a healthy and filling meal, packed with cheese in one amazing spaghetti squash lasagna.
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Vlogger at BuzzChomp. She’s an actress, writer, and producer. Get lost in her youtube comedy channel PillowTalk TV. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or Instagram