I love gingersnap cookies, but I don’t buy pre-packaged cookies anymore. Gone are the days of processed foods. Now I go homemade, like these amazing Vegan Gingersnap cookies!
If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been obsessing over vegan desserts. They always feel lighter to me and the flavors really shine. Recently I began my hunt for the perfect gingersnap cookie. I actually craved them back in August, so I jumped on the fall food band wagon super early. It was so worth it, because these homemade vegan gingersnap cookies are perfect!
My go-to for recipes and inspiration is Pinterest. It’s where I found the ‘Loving It Vegan‘ blog and this wonderful gingersnap cookie recipe! I had all of the ingredients to make these cookies right away. Score! After a few recipe tweaks and some personal touches, the recipe below was born.
ALSO ON BUZZCHOMP: Running Goals – Stay Accountable with Year End Success!
I stayed pretty true to the original recipe, with a few minor adjustments. Since I was almost out of regular flour, I used one and a half cups of white flour and a half a cup of whole wheat flour. I loved the way the cookies turned out with this adjustment, and I’ve now made them three times and done this each time.
The other adjustment I made was squashing the cookies down after baking them. Gingersnaps are perfect when they are thin. The first time I made them, they definitely were not thin when they came out of the oven, so I squashed them flat. The second time I made them, I squashed them prior to baking. This didn’t work as well, because you lose the sugar coating and they didn’t stay slightly chewy on the inside. Squashing them after baking makes the perfect gingersnap. They are not too hard and not super chewy, but truly the perfect balance.
Vegan Gingersnap Cookies
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Unsulphured Molasses
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 2-3 Tbsp Non-Dairy Milk (I used Almond Milk)
- 1/4 cup (50g) White Sugar (For Rolling)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a stand mixer, then add molasses and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix all of your dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Add the dry into the wet and mix until crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons of almond milk, which should make it a thick dough, but if it’s still crumbly then add another 1/2 tablespoon of almond milk.
- Roll dough into little balls and dip into sugar. Place balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I used two baking sheets and got 44 cookies out of this recipe!
- Bake for 12 minutes. When you take them out of the oven, squish them down with a spatula and then let them cool! You can store these bad boys in the fridge!
These vegan gingersnap cookies are perfect for fall. Be careful if you serve these to friends, because they might all get eaten up! I love cookie recipes like this one, because it’s truly easy. The prep doesn’t take too long. Forming the balls and rolling them in sugar is the longest process.
I’ll be making these bad boys all fall and maybe into the Holiday season! Skip buying the boxed kind and get in the kitchen. Homemade cookies!
Connect with our Writer:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Vlogger at BuzzChomp. She’s an actress, writer, and producer. Get lost in her youtube comedy channel PillowTalk TV. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or Instagram
Vegan Gingersnap Cookies Photo Credits to: Yours Truly!
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.