The grill isn’t just for burgers and dogs. Healthy grilling is about flavor and farm fresh vegetables. Get a bevy of peppers and veggies while they’re sweet and fresh. Then fire up your grill!
My town, like many others, has a wonderful weekly farmer’s market where local farms sell fresh produce. You can find beautifully ripe heirloom tomatoes glistening with morning dew, the deepest aubergine eggplants just bursting with flavor, plump zucchini, and amazing red, orange and yellow peppers just beckoning to be grilled. So fill up your basket and start cooking!
Farm Fresh Grilled Vegetables
3 red peppers
3 orange peppers
3 yellow peppers
2 large eggplants
2 large zucchini
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh French thyme, finely chopped
1. Remove stems and seeds from all of your peppers, then slice them in quarters.
2. Slice eggplant and zucchini horizontally.
3. Place vegetables in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, basil and thyme in a small bowl. Pour over vegetables, then toss.
5. Let sit for 30 minutes to marinate flavors. Preheat your grill as they marinate.
6. Grill vegetables, turning ever five minutes, until tender.
7. Arrange on a platter and serve at room temperature. You can grill a day ahead and refrigerate. Simply bring to room temperature before serving.