The best Easter desserts are made with milk chocolate, because its synonymous with the holiday! My chocolate layer cake recipe doubles down on milk chocolate with Cadbury Mini Eggs.
Milk chocolate is synonymous with Easter. We have chocolate Easter bunnies, Easter eggs, candies and desserts. But nothing beats a chocolate layer cake! My recipe makes creamy milk chocolate the star of this dessert, as I used milk chocolate in both the cake and frosting. Then I decorated this treat with my personal favorite Easter candy, Cadbury Mini Eggs.
I love baking cakes that may seem intimidating to a novice, yet are actually easy to prepare if you follow the directions. Baking, unlike cooking, is a precise science with exact ratios of the basic ingredients. This chocolate layer cake is light and must rise correctly, so follow my steps closely.
MORE BUZZCHOMP: Fit Life Challenge Recap
In doing so you’ll gain the experience I have and understand the simple combinations of dry ingredients to wet ingredients, allowing you to experiment with different cake batters. For now, all you need is to follow my simple recipe for a beautiful chocolate layer cake to grace your Easter dinner.
If you’re in need of baking help, I recommend this KitchenAid Professional Stand Mixer for a great cooking experience!
Easter Chocolate Layer Cake
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (King Arthur Flour)
- 1/4 cup dried nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Ghirardelli)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, melted
- 1 cup whole buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting (Recipe below)
- Crushed Cadbury Milk Chocolate Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter, sugar, oil and eggs at medium speed until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, dried milk, cocoa, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add flour mixture to egg mixture in thirds, alternating with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour. Beat until well combined.
- With mixture at low speed, add chocolate, vanilla and almond until chocolate is combined. Divide batter between your two prepared pans.
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Chocolate Fudge Frosting between layers and sprinkle with half of your crushed chocolate eggs. Place remaining cake layer on top, then frost the top and sides. Garnish with remaining crushed chocolate eggs.
ALSO ON BUZZCHOMP: Spring Break Essentials Guide
- 12 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine chocolate, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, heat cream over medium heat until just boiling. Pour hot cream over chocolate mixture; whisk until melted and smooth. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Beat chocolate with whisk attachment of stand mixture at medium speed for 3 minutes.
More from the Chef:
GoodDinnerMrsMellen.com and GoodDinnerMrsMellen.blogspot.com
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.