Fall is right around the corner and one of my favorite parts are the wonderful baking options. These vegan blondies mix coconut and chai into the perfect fall treat. Think sinful and seasonal.
For my very first blondies recipe, I wanted to do something special. In the spirit of the coming season, I chose coconut chai vegan blondies that deserve a pat on the back. This is a rich and sinful dessert that’s as easy to make as regular brownies. I found an original recipe at miminewman.com, then made my own adjustments as you’ll see below.
My recipe calls for coconut oil and I love baking with it. That’s how you get the coconut vibe, which is a perfect compliment to the chai. You can totally substitute plant-based butter or any other oil for the coconut oil, but you’ll lose some of the delicious seasonal taste. Using sunflower oil or avocado oil would be a great alternative, because both are lighter than if you used an olive oil.
More BuzzChomp: Mini Vegan Challah Bread Recipe
If you’re new to vegan baking, I find almost every dessert I bake needs time to set once its done. What this means is that even when its done baking and starting to lightly brown, if you poke into it then it is still soft. That’s how you want it for these vegan blondies. When you take these bad boys out of the oven they will harden up pretty quickly. That being said, do not over bake them. My oven is a bit weaker, so I baked these for 33 minutes and it was perfect.
For a dessert like this, I always go back and forth on using a glaze. Since this is a fall treat, I added a chai spice blend to my glaze. It made the chai flavor really pop. These blondies do not need a glaze, but it makes them taste so so good. Plus, their smell filled my home with the smells of fall. My coconut chai vegan blondies are a truly memorable treat. You can freeze them or put them in the fridge to consume over the week. Fall is just around the corner and these are great to have in your baking arsenal.
Coconut Chai Vegan Blondies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Total Time: 45- 50 minutes
- Yields: 16 servings
Vegan Blondies Ingredients:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Chai spice blend (recipe below)
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds and 4 tbsp cold water, stirred and left to sit until gelatinous (This is called Flax Eggs)
Chai Spice Blend Ingredients:
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
Chai Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (or 1/4 cup if you want less icing)
- 1 tbsp almond milk (or 1/2 tbsp for less icing)
- Chai spice blend (Use the same proportions as above, even if you halve the other icing ingredients.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then prep/line an 8″ square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Make your flax eggs in a small bowl, then set them aside to congeal.
- Mix all of your dry ingredients together. Sugar is considered a wet ingredient.
- Blend your sugar and coconut oil together in a stand mixer, then add in your flax eggs and vanilla extract and blend.
- Add your dry ingredients into your wet mixture and blend together. Pour your batter into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Mine were perfectly cooked at 33 minutes. If your oven is strong, then check on them after 25 minutes. You do not want these to over cook, because they will harden over time.
- Prepare your Chai Icing by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisking them together.
- Let your vegan blondies cool for ten minutes, then drizzle your Chai Icing on top.
Meet Our Baker:
Mandi Mellen is Lead Editor, Writer, and Host at BuzzChomp. She’s also an Actor, Director and Producer. Visit M Square Productions for her film work, or get lost in her comedy on Pillow Talk TV. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Photo Credit to Yours Truly
BuzzChomp is an affiliate for products and services recommended herein. Please read our Full Disclaimer for further information on affiliate programs and opportunities.