Chocolate, caramel, and sea salt; a perfect combination for a Christmas cookie. My chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies balance the richness of smooth caramel with that salty bite for a dazzling dessert.
Each year I make copious quantities of Christmas cookies for friends and family. Sharing my creations with those I love is my own personal way to celebrate the holiday season. This caramel cookie has become one of my family’s favorites over the years, since they all love chocolate and caramel dusted with sea salt, then drizzled with chocolate glaze!
Chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Caramel Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 package caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus about 1/2 tsp. for sprinkling
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar
- 1 teaspoon shortening
BuzzChomp Twitter: Follow for updates
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Begin by making your cookies.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add egg yolk, cream, and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
3. Scoop dough into rounded 1 tsp. portions and roll into balls. Then roll the cookie balls in powdered sugar to coat.
4. Place cookie balls two inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. With the end of a thick-handled wooden spoon, gently press an indentation into the center of each cookie. Bake until cookies are just set, about 10 minutes. (The depressions tend to fill in a bit as they bake, so as soon as they’re out of the oven, give them another press with the spoon if necessary.) Slide parchment with cookies onto cooling racks and let cool.
5. Now make your caramel. Place caramels in a small, heavy sauce pan with cream. Heat to boiling, then lower heat, stirring until caramels are melted.
6. Now assemble your cookies. Spoon about 1/4 tsp. of caramel into each cookie. Then sprinkle with a few grains of sea salt.
7. Microwave chocolate and shortening on high for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is smooth. Drizzle over cookies.
More from the chef: GoodDinnerMrsMellen.com and GoodDinnerMrsMellen.blogspot.com
Pingback: Snowy Winter White Chocolate Cranberry Cake Recipe - BuzzChomp